• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you think it was worth $22.50?

12 posts in this topic

I just got this today, and I find it hard to believe that the other five bidders didn't want to go any higher than $22.00.

1881-S/S VAM 8R

1439150-IMG_1060.JPG1439150-IMG_1061.JPG

Chris

1439150-IMG_1061.JPG.6d3d3bdd5377d7b2d9a1a072e52cd7c6.JPG

That is what someone else said, here, a while back. The picture that was posted on eBay wasn't that good, but I did spot those "white gaps" along the lettering so I decided to go for it.

Chris

Chris, my Hiroshima honey, here's a VERY good post to read vis-a-vis toning:

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=304983

Specifically here's the section dealing with white "gaps"...

MYTH 1 : The lack of toning around the fields of outer devices (especially the stars and date) of Morgan Dollars is due to the way the coin is in contact with the mint bag or whatnot that is causing the toning.

This is totally wrong! According to the above posed theory, the toning would not block just part of the fields around the devices but the entire perimeter around the device. If you actually look at these, the toning is ONLY blocked in the fields that extend towards the edge of the coin. So what is causing this? As someone who has studied solid state physics and worked in clean rooms (where we built microprocessors), it is a well known fact that the rate at which a metal reacts has not only to do with it's composition but also with it's metallic alignment and structure to the chemicals attempting to react with it. If you look closely at one of these toned Morgans (this is just the example used here but this effect is seen on numerous other issues) and look very carefully at the area where no toning is seen, you will notice that these areas are areas where the die caused excessive pressure on the planchet, essentially stretching and stressing the metal of the planchet beyond that seen elsewhere on the coin. These area have a stretched look to them. These stretch marks are only seen going out from the devices and towards the edge of the coin as this is what would be expected as the planchet is squeezed between the dies. So what does this do to the coin? 1) it "work hardens" the metal more so than other sections of the coin and 2) this extremely work hardened metal has a different metallic structure than the rest of the coin (same composition of course but a different structure on the atomic scale) that makes it more resistant to chemical reactions like toning. Some areas with the stretch mark can tone, it is not untoneable - just more resistant to toning. But from my observation, if you see these tone free areas, you should see the "stretch marks" in the untoned areas. Go ahead and look for yourself under a high power scope if you have an example handy.

So are these tone free areas an indicator of an NT coin? No, if the coin doc is able to tone his/her coin with little or no heat then this area will remain resistant to toning and not tone. But if the doc has to apply a lot of heat then this excess heat would change the metallic structure of these stretched areas to loose its tone resistant quality and these areas would tone just like the rest of the coin. The type of chemical used may also be able to tone these areas, it just all depends. But seeing these tone free areas are no guarantee that the coin's toning has not been doctored. Oils or grease (like the ones on your fingers) and any surface substance can also inhibit toning, so a tone doctor could just cover these areas with some inert material, tone the coin and remove the insert substance to duplicate this effect. Look for the stretch marks as a clue but remember that this should be only one point to consider. Look for the overall look of the coin if you are trying to make a determination of AT/NT. NT/AT determination is more of an art in that it should have a familiarity to it that can only really be understood from looking and studying many 'known' material.

I highly recomend reading the whole article to anyone interested in toners.

Having said that, I still think the coin is worth at least what you paid for it.

First of all, Sky, I am not a "honey". I am an "hombre" but not as rich as Paul Newman. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

So, my friend..................................what exactly are you trying to say? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Thanks for the explanation and article. It was an interesting read.

Actually, I still believe that the NT/AT debate should be a non-issue. It all boils down to whether you like what you see or not.

Chris

Actually, I still believe that the NT/AT debate should be a non-issue. It all boils down to whether you like what you see or not.

Chris

thumbsup2.gif

Chris

thumbsup2.gif

thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Chris - I am disappointed in you liking such a cheap coin.

Mark.

"The cheaper, the better!"

Chris

That's the only thing you've ever said that made perfect sense. yeahok.gif

Mark.