• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you think happened to this?

6 posts in this topic

This is one of the '82-CC batch that I got recently. The marks between the top of the wreath and the eagle's wing are definitely raised. I used my handy little Morgan tool, and there is nothing on the obverse that corresponds to these concentric arcs. It looks to me as if a planchet was not completely in the coining chamber when the hammer die struck it, and the upset rim left this impression on the die.

What do you think?

1437703-IMG_1048.JPG

Chris

1437703-IMG_1048.JPG.642855aaae2bfe43e8a633a903b6b2dd.JPG

When I first looked at the image I thought maybe the dies were rotated 4 or 5 degrees and it was a clash from the back of her head.

The more I look at the image, I can't match the arcs either.

Larry, there is also another pair of concentric arcs between the ealgle's wing and the wreath on the left. The impression is slightly lighter so it was impossible for me to get a good photo of it. However, they do not line up with the impressions on the right side. It is my understanding that the planchets had to be struck more than once because of their size. Wouldn't it seem possible that, after the first strike, the planchet moved (only) slightly further into the coining chamber before it was struck a second time?

It is interesting to note that, if this is what actually happened, there may be an 1882-CC Morgan in some collector's hands that is a "40% off-center strike at K-12".

Chris

CORRECTION: It should be "40% off-center at K-6".

Chris.

Sounds possible to me but I'm an *spoon* when it comes to some of the wild error coins out there. laugh.gif

It's cool figuring out some of this stuff.

I'm going to send this to Leroy Van Allen along with another '82-CC for his examination. Perhaps he can determine what the cause may have been. I'll know in a few weeks.

Chris