• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the toughest Barber set to build in original BU?

47 posts in this topic

I'd go with the quarters. Tough choice. I figure the dimes would be the easiest, although I'm not sure if any of three would be easy, per say.

For Business Strike Barbers, MS63 and above, I would definately vote for Barber half's. Several of the date/MM coins have only 6-15 Certified coins at MS63 or above. Where else can you buy a MS64 coin for $1000. that has 7-10 specimens graded higher.

Barber halves are generally the most underrated rarities (in MS63 or above) of all the Barber Denominations. Although some MS Barber dime and quarter dates/MM's are scarce as well. They do not approach the sheer number of Half Rarity, dates/MM's.

I remember at shows, years ago, the appearance of a nice, originally toned MS63 (or higher) Barber half would draw a crowd, and sell at a healthy premium. I do not believe that there are more coins now but fewer with a bigger collector base.

I believe that Half Dollars, except Kennedy's, and most Franklin's are way underrated.

read and reread oldtraders post over and over again

i might add a true gem bu ms65 barber half that is totally original and undipped thick skinned withy momnster eye appeal and white is a

monster rare coin

yet currenbtly not in demand and actually gone down in value the last 4 years...........lol

CRAZY

HERE IS A SCAN OF A REally MONSTER Rare coin as per the above criteria on the cusp of 66 also currently in a pcgs ms65 holder

such a shame a coin is not wanted in todays market

try to go find one like this with amazing eye appeal monster cartwheel lustre a really really nice ms65 thick original undipped unmolested skin and also white!!!

try to find one like the one i scanned i dare you

now in person this coin is much nicer

sincerely michael

a coin NOT maxed out in its respective holder

202132-09half.jpg.b078dfeb781c1c979a76b5797a02c012.jpg

wow

i cant believe it

with little or no response to this tread i guess many do not really give a rats [!@#%^&^] about the barber series

i would think that slabbed modern coins where most of the time most of the price is in the plastic

many more would be drawn to the scarce historical series of barbers which is extremely highly collectible and a superb value

that most all could afford in any eye appealling grade from good to unc.

where the most all of the value is mostly in the actual coin AND THEN SOME!!!!!

sincerely michael shy.gif

202361-25cent1901.jpg.290d1171dfaa697f78360d53e6a7d8c3.jpg

Really nice Half, Michael. I think that you are correct. A monster MS65 Barber half with full luster and no problems is a truly rare bird. You will not find many really nice Barber half's at any show.

The best that I can do is a MS64 coin Barber Half that comes close to being a monster except for a slide mark & a few ticks on the neck (attached, MS64-1910P).

202427-Barber.jpg.4171e1bdae25fb82331a84adc030e53d.jpg

Barbers have a lot of value based on their rarity and current prices, but there just doesn't seem to be much of a draw. For me personally, I'd rather get a coin with a more attractive design from an earlier era at this point, and can focus on finding the Barbers for my set later.

The barber series, especially halves, are the most underrated series today. My opinion, many of the very low population coins trade for near or at type levels. You can find very eye appealing coins in MS64 at very affordable prices. Although putting a set together will be a challenge.

TRUTH

myself i really like the looks of the classical barber design and i think it is a coin that the more you look at it the more it grows on you

sincerely michael

Barber's are a steal right now, at current levels. We'll probably never see them this cheap again!!

Proof examples, especially!!!!!

Barber halves are the toughest to build an original, choice MS set out of. However, if you want coins with good eye appeal then Liberty nickels (Barber coinage) are the toughest as nearly every Liberty nickel in MS is a dog.

Check out Reed Hawn's set of Barber Quarters. Its one of the best ever. Stacks 1993, I believe....with his 1804 and 1913. His Barber quarter set was something that he really focused on.

For Halves, check out the Thaine Price collection, hands down the best ever...Akers, 1996? Very original coins, mostly raw.

When I worked in the shop as a kid, an old lady brought in about 7/8 different Barbers Quarters and Halves, and Dimes. Very original and choice. Most were in an old Wayte Raymond album. They all graded MS64 to MS66 from PCGS. And this was 1987/88. Imagine today.....

Seth

sweet sweet coins and an even sweeter thread and MONSTA REPLIES!!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

just like eating a fresh picked strawberrie which is in season currently here in western ny but it will all be over in a week or so HOPEfully this thread will last longer

sincerely michael flamed.gif

I think Barbers are very lovely coins in Uncirculated and Proof. Unfortunately most seem to be heavily worn, giving Miss Liberty a "masculine" look at best, and at worst Miss Liberty becomes a blank silhouette. I started a Barber dime thread "across the street"- there were sure some nice looking dimes in that thread!

There was also a "Barber weekend" thread over there with some gorgeous coins, too! Anyone who thinks the Barber design is ugly, should get a look at the "eye candy" in those threads!

You're right Tom, finding attractive original MS Barber Halves in 5 is tough. I eventually gave up & found a decent one in PF 5. Re the Liberty Nickels, they are out there, but you don't see them often.

Last year, I saw 40 Liberty Nickels in PCGS 6 holders (most were sold at the late May Superior auction). 90% of what I saw were gorgeous. I picked one of them up in September. I think these nickels are very underrated. The one thing I have not yet seen is a beautiful Shield Nickel. I may have seen three or four that aren't ugly.

The one thing I have not yet seen is a beautiful Shield Nickel. I may have seen three or four that aren't ugly.

Sunnywood's proof Shield nickel that Heritage auctioned off earlier this year was a wonderful nickel. Nicest I had ever seen.

Here is a pretty nice 1883 Shield Nickel. Scan clarity is a problem. Problem is not with the scan though, the PCGS slab surface is scratched badly and needs to be reholdered.

203405-1883Shield.jpg.aeec954e7d55e0d4358573969d29befd.jpg

Oldtrader,

Thanks for the scan. I like the obverse of the coin a great deal; attractive toning, I can tell its luster is good & ditto with the surfaces. However, the reverse seems just so so to me. Ignoring the scratches, there appear to be some spots or water marks which get my attention. It isn't ugly, though, by any means.

No spots on coin. All that stuff (including spots) is slab damage. I think someone tried to solvent clean the slab after scratching the surface really badly. One of these days, I will have it reslabbed and repost the coin. Sorry for the distractions.

the shield nick is superb

since the slab is already damaged i would myself try brasso

wipe it on the slab and let it dry to a white film

wipe it off with a brand new clean soft cotton cloth i bet you will be really surprised how it will clean up most all of that slab damage

casued by the solvent to clean the slab i am very sure you will have good luck and if not then no harm done it will not do any worse than it already is!

let me know what happens which i think will be amazing results to your slab

sincerely michael

However, if you want coins with good eye appeal then Liberty nickels (Barber coinage) are the toughest as nearly every Liberty nickel in MS is a dog.

How much does that have to do with the hideous design? It's like the Franklin. Unless it has "make-up" (ie mint set toning) it's hard to call it an eye-appealing coin. 27_laughing.gif

jom

I think it's largely do to design, both artistic and relief, but also has to do with preservation

Maybe but Barber wasn't exactly a Picasso. On the other hand, I can see his point of view of production worth designs. But I think he later proved wrong in that many higher relief coins have been made in quantity with the quality.

jom

for me barbers are really super looking attractive coins in any grade

but for me especially so plus a bag of chips flamed.gif

if monster white gem proof deep cameos 893applaud-thumb.gif or close to it

or are gem mintstate coins with fantastic lustre 893whatthe.gif extraordinary eye appeal and toning/white original surfaces

sincerely michael shy.gif