• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can you explain what error this is?

11 posts in this topic

Can you explain what error this is? Straight from OBW roll to 2x2. Last Friday I asked a question to NGC in the Ask NGC forum, I have yet to recieve a reply(Why??). I was wondering if you all could help me with this question. I wanted to know if they would grade this coin and what is the error called that has occurred here.

On the Obv. there are 3 indents in the 2 areas, on the left side of Lincoln the 2 indents are part of the "E" in ONE and part on the "N" in CENT. On the Left of Lincoln part of the "C" in CENT.

On the Rev. by the "E" in ONE and the "N" in Cent there is a line in the shape of the area where the TIE is but minus the TIE. By the "C" in CENT you can see the shape of the back of Lincoln's neck.

Basically where all the indents and lines are it looks as if the planchet had been lightly struck just in those spots then the Obv. and Rev. were struck over them. I hope this description helps. The pictures are not yet very great still working on getting a new camera. Please any info would be great thanks

confused.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

1009oi3.jpg

1010np6.jpg

1005hd5.jpg

1002yl5.jpg

1003qk4.jpg

1004hr0.jpg

It looks like a clashed die on both obverse and reverse to me. These typically aren't errors and don't normally add any value, but I think they are quite interesting.

Yep definitely clashed dies. I made this picture from yours to show how the design from the obverse is transfered to the reverse. You can easily see that the line through the C in CENT is from Lincoln's back up to his neck.

1436625-dieclash.jpg

1436625-dieclash.jpg.80120d1e063be8e6bfd2b1ec401c984d.jpg

The images probably do not do this coin justice, but do the lines seem like a reverse image of Lincoln? If so, then RGT's clashed die explanation is correct. If not, it could be a cracked die.

Clashed dies do add some value to the coin but it depends on the coin, how strong the strike shows the clashed details, and the population. In this case, since there were a number of clashed die "errors" from the 1950s, and since this looks like a weak strike, the premium is very small. You may get $1-2 on eBay from an interested collector. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

But it is interesting!! thumbsup2.gif

Scott hi.gif

It looks like a clashed die on both obverse and reverse to me. These typically aren't errors and don't normally add any value, but I think they are quite interesting.

thumbsup2.gif

Hoot

Yep definitely clashed dies. I made this picture from yours to show how the design from the obverse is transfered to the reverse. You can easily see that the line through the C in CENT is from Lincoln's back up to his neck.

1436625-dieclash.jpg

thanks very much for demo, It helps alot. Now would this coin be worth getting graded by NGC? to up the value and preserve the coin? thanks D thumbsup2.gif

hi, got a answer from ask NGC forum:

Your piece looks to be Clashed Dies. This is caused when the dies come together with out having a coin planchet between them. The image is transferred back to the dies rather then what would have been a struck coin. It is fairly common and considered a normal part of coin production. NGC for the most part does not designate clashed dies. It would simply be called a 1958-D cent.

now, considering I would like to get this coin graded for my son's collection does anyone know if PCGS would grade this as clashed die error or would they do the same as NGC??

thanks,D

Clashed dies are not generally considered an error and neither PCGS nor NGC will label the coin as either a clashed die or an error. The only time that I have seen a clashed die listed on a holder is a dual denomination clash, such as the Mint fabricated Flying Eagle cent clashes with larger denomination coins.