• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Ultimate Guide To Attributing Bust Half Dollars

14 posts in this topic

by Glenn R. Peterson, Money Tree Press.

This is a great book, and a great addition to the Overton, I think, for those of us who collect Bust Halves and wish to identify their Overton numbers.

For each O number, Peterson provides a photo and short description basically of what he considers a 'hallmark' for that particular O number. This cuts down the reading time and eyestrain, from having to go through the whole Overton book.

For each year, he has a year chart which delineates the different O numbers, and once you decipher it, you gain a much better overall understanding of what lies behind the different O numbers.

There are also brief discussions on the coin values and rarity ratings based on the O number. Loads of high mag photos and rather large print make this book easy to read and fun to look at.

Mike, I’m in the middle of the Overton book. Would you recommend “The Ultimate Guide to Attributing Bust Half Dollars,” or “Capped Bust Fever” as my next book?

Thanks Winston

Winston, if I may step in, I would use Peterson for atrtibution purposes as Mike suggests but for information in general Capped Bust Fever can't be beat.

Mike, I’m in the middle of the Overton book. Would you recommend “The Ultimate Guide to Attributing Bust Half Dollars,” or “Capped Bust Fever” as my next book?

Thanks Winston

Winston, I once had a violin teacher who brought me to a dealer that laid six violins out on his piano. The goal was for me to upgrade my instrument based on my talent. I narrowed it down to two violins (no prices were revealed). One was easy to play with, the sound was easyto elicit and control. The other violin was harder, more difficult to get the sound out of.

Now my teacher, Judy, had a history of fighting polio when she was a little girl. She was told she'd never play the violin. She did. She struggled. She studied with Menhuin, and then with a guy...I forget his name, who was a principle player in the NY Philharmonic. HIS history was that he was cleaning his gun, shot himself through his left hand and was told he'd never be able to play again. He struggled. He re-trained each finger to function over a grueling period of time and succeeded in being a principle player. He became Judy's teacher because he believed in her and empathized with here physical impediments and both that the chutzpah and stamina to overcome seemingly impossible difficulties.

Why do I tell you this story.

I loved Judy. I worshipped her, even till today, I think of what she would say, how would she do it etc...etc...

But I still believe I should have gotten the violin that was easier to play.

The reason for this is sometimes ease can carry you into harder play, and in harder play, greater triumph and accomlishment.

The other instrument which she urged and fought for me to buy, I suffered with for years. I was not Judy, and I was not the principle violinist at the NY PHilarmonic who had shot himself in the hand.

So what am I trying to say. Overton is the bread and butter, and Souder's little books on the High Rarity 4's and 5's is indespensible for concentrating your study in this little guide book, and while Peterson makes it easy, easy is not bad, easy and open new avenues for thinking, and this book just does that.

As far as Bust Half Fever, it is indispensible, and personally I would recommend reading it before obtaining Peterson, because peterson will help things gel. That's the way it was written. Almost like a mind map where the loci are the dates and overton numbers.

So indeed, I advise all three. Minimum.

1. Overton, because it's an indispensible Gold Standart for identifying the different varieties.

2. Soulder's, because he brings life to what would be a totally dry situation. He cues you in to variances between the different engravers, nuances about minted Bust Halves that will help you understand, along the way, how to appreciate and grade these coins.

3 Peterson, I rank third, not because he's not importatnt, he is different. And when you used to and tired of thumbing through overton and getting eye strain, and you have the wherewithal that only Soulders can give you, the Peterson is like your gift. It's a gift of concise and well thought out information you've already covered, but done in a way that it will elevate your understanding.

That's just my take on it.

I hope it serves you well.

Buy all three.

MIke

893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif

Great thread!

I find that Overton's 3rd edition is the best attribution guide. Peterson's reference is nice to have as a backup or verification. Maybe that is just because I learned to attribute from the 3rd edition.

On a different note, Bust Half Fever is a magnificent book that takes you deep inside the series and provides unparalleled information for the enthusiast. It is a must read.

Just get 'em all.....if you can.

Okay cool. Thanks guys. I have the Overton, which I am currently reading, so I just need to buy the other two.

Thanks again, Winston

Just make sure you stick with Overton 3rd edition (1990) and avoid the new 4th edition. Long story.....

This post and others on this site covering Bust halves are interesting. I have been aware that there is a dedicated club to this series (the Bust Half Nut club) for many years but the number of poeple who write about this series indicates that it is a lot more popular than I ever thought it was. Apparently, it is one of if not the most popular 19th century issue after Morgan dollars and Indian Head cents. I do not have any of these any more, but it was my favorite coin when I was a kid.

Okay cool. Thanks guys. I have the Overton, which I am currently reading, so I just need to buy the other two.

Thanks again, Winston

Just make sure you stick with Overton 3rd edition (1990) and avoid the new 4th edition. Long story.....

I'd love to hear it! gossip.gifdevil.gif

A lot of people seem to agree with you about the Overton editions:

I've seen the fourth edition offered for $60, but the cheapest third edition I've seen is offered for $70!