• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trick question. An interesting 1819 Bustie

15 posts in this topic

An 1819 Bust Half I bought from Islandcoins, just arrived in the mail today. I have to say, my photos don't do the coin justice, and Gary's photos, which are amazing, are actually totally accurate. With my eyesight, Overton is enough to drive me crazy, but out came Overton and Peterson (Peterson's a lot easier). Where's the red herring? I'm keeping the coin, but I got a little upset, because I'm 'losing' another.

266317486_567d4d2352.jpg

266317490_eae2e34a45.jpg

I tried to improve the lighting, but my focus is not too good

266425287_e0749e0a56.jpg

266425290_fbb5ee2bee.jpg

266432365_264141ea30.jpg

266432368_c4a13e3028.jpg

266432371_08730d3515.jpg

the 19 is wider than the 181

266432366_181dbb4eec.jpg

Nice coin. cool.gif

Dr. GLENN R. Peterson would be happy to hear someone prefers his THE ULTIMATE GUIDE TO ATTRIBUTING BUST HALF DOLLARS to the Overton book. Everyone I know has used the Overton book so long, and are comfortable with it, that they find Glenn's book is only used for special cases.

I would be curious to hear from any other forum members that routinely use Glenn's book rather than the Overton bible.

Mozin, I'm happy to hear about your liking of the Peterson book. I think it is under-rated. The guy is extra smart. He did, in a vague way perhaps, a 'mind map' of the capped but halves PLUS he has easy to see blown up photos zooming into the 1,2 or 3 hallmarks associated with a particular Overton number. So not only does the spare you grief of thumbing though all of Overton's pages, you speedily obtain the Overton number and those 'hallmarks' will forever stick in your mind.

Now I do NOT believe in just having the Peterson book. I never use one without the other.

Dr. GLENN R. Peterson would be happy to hear someone prefers his THE ULTIMATE GUIDE TO ATTRIBUTING BUST HALF DOLLARS to the Overton book. Everyone I know has used the Overton book so long, and are comfortable with it, that they find Glenn's book is only used for special cases.

I would be curious to hear from any other forum members that routinely use Glenn's book rather than the Overton bible.

I actually purchased Peterson's book first and then acquired the fourth edition of Overton a couple of months later. I use both books when attributing my CBH coins. Peterson's pictures provide a shortcut to get through Overton, however, I have found Overton more helpful in a couple of cases where Peterson's book was not quite as explicit. For attributing at a quick glance, I prefer Peterson. To confirm my initial attribution Overton can't be beat.

Well, here's Islandcoins' picture of the 1819, which Winston properly identified as an Overton 102...which makes it an 1819/8 rather than an 1819 which is what I thought it was when I bought it. Since I already had an 1819/8 and this one was so lovely, I decided to keep it. Problem is, I don't think I can part with my other 1819/8, a totally appealing coin in it's own right!!!

267003309_5464dba19d.jpg

267003310_4bbdba929a.jpg

I understand your frustration. With 450 Overton varieties it would be nice to collect as many examples as possible without duplication. I try to avoid the same thing. You have a great coin that would/could easiy be sold or traded for another.

I have many Overton marriages missing from my set, but honestly, I don't go out of my way to find anything later than 1824 that I need. 1807-1824 I keep buying anything I like, if the price is in line. I have as many as six examples of some of my favorite marriages, like the 1817/3.

Coins like the 1819/18 in this thread, I would happily add as a duplicate.