• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toning Coins??????????

40 posts in this topic

Sorry...I have been real busy and haven't gotten around to digging out the coins....I'll try to take some shots tonight and post them..........why did I delete the darn things....darn it!!! foreheadslap.gif

cool man I look foward to your posting of the pics thanks by the way, D

ok ok.....here you go you blood suckers......pictures of my toning experiments!!! insane.gif

Set up:

I had a small 300 count baseball card box that I filled with uncirculated quarters both clad and Silver and then I placed a layer of newspaper over the coins and then filled the box with wooden matchsticks and books of paper matches. I then placed this box with the lid open under a gooseneck lamp, which would get quite hot. I don't remember exactly how long I left it like this but it was probably a week or two and I did flip the coins a couple of times during the process. What I got was colorful....but clearly AT'd coins. Hopefully this might help some folks see what some of the fake stuff looks like and some of the colors and toning patterns to watch out for thumbsup2.gif

1964AT.jpg

1964Obv.jpg

1964Rev.jpg

1973DObv.jpg

1973DRev.jpg

1974Rev.jpg

1985DObv.jpg

1985DRev.jpg

1994DObv.jpg

1994DRev.jpg

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Thanks Shane for the pictures. I've seen several coins with this pattern or type of toning. You have provided more info for our knowledge banks thumbsup2.gif

It is remarkable how often coins stay white in an environment in which you think they should tone.

My grandfather had a collection of about 100 Morgan dollars, stored individually in 2x2 manila folders. In the mid-1960s, his apartment burned down, charring some of the envelopes, but not damaging the coins inside.

I now have many of these coins, in the same 2x2s, and they remain virtually white!

Many moons ago I started experimenting with coins to see how they tone, wear, stain, etc. I've tried this with Copper, Silver, Clad and just about anything I could find that I didn't value to much. Some of the things I've done is bury coins in the dirt and keep wet, put coins in concrete and then break them out, lay in different solutions such as battery acid, poor Chlorination systems, dishsoaps, spit, soda pop of several different brands, coffee and on and on and on. Presently I have a 1927 Standing Liberty Quarter on an outdoor window sill that has been there for about 3 months and not showing much of a difference. Coins in dirt just basically get dirty. My best looking resulted in rubbing a 1912D Lincoln Cent with Gun Blueing solutions. It was a coin that someone had violently cleaned so I had nothing to loose. Dish soaps all are slightly different so the results are slightly different. I've dont the famously repeated thing about Acetone rinses with only slightly decent results. Are you all aware that our Urine contains some Acetone. Found that out at the hospital I go to so I tried that on coins also. Putting coins in envelopes has had many different results naturally since so many envelopes are manufactured with different materials. I still feel that the window sill is the best place for a coin to tone naturally.

ok ok.....here you go you blood suckers......pictures of my toning experiments!!! insane.gif

Set up:

I had a small 300 count baseball card box that I filled with uncirculated quarters both clad and Silver and then I placed a layer of newspaper over the coins and then filled the box with wooden matchsticks and books of paper matches. I then placed this box with the lid open under a gooseneck lamp, which would get quite hot. I don't remember exactly how long I left it like this but it was probably a week or two and I did flip the coins a couple of times during the process. What I got was colorful....but clearly AT'd coins. Hopefully this might help some folks see what some of the fake stuff looks like and some of the colors and toning patterns to watch out for thumbsup2.gif

1964AT.jpg

1964Obv.jpg

1964Rev.jpg

1973DObv.jpg

1973DRev.jpg

1974Rev.jpg

1985DObv.jpg

1985DRev.jpg

1994DObv.jpg

1994DRev.jpg

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I was just going back over this post and had a question when you did this were these coins dipped in acetone or no?? confused.gifconfused-smiley-013.gifthanks, D