• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Something for Columbus Day

11 posts in this topic

You know, this Columbus Day thing. I totally forgot about it. My mail usually runs around 4pm. After that, ol' Thing strips down to his boxers and kicks back since I don't have to go outside to check the mail. 4 PM, no mail, 5 PM, no mail. 6 PM, no mail. 6:01PM, I figure out its Columbus Day and the mail isn't going to run. 121 minutes spent dressed for nothing. Like PCGS, Columbus Days sucks.

Wow! That is immaculent! hail.gif Is it listed in the HK book?

This is similar to the "Saint-Gaudens Dollar", HK-223, but is the (larger) official medal. Although, strictly not a SCD, I fell in love with it.

You know, this Columbus Day thing. I totally forgot about it. My mail usually runs around 4pm. After that, ol' Thing strips down to his boxers and kicks back since I don't have to go outside to check the mail. 4 PM, no mail, 5 PM, no mail. 6 PM, no mail. 6:01PM, I figure out its Columbus Day and the mail isn't going to run. 121 minutes spent dressed for nothing. Like PCGS, Columbus Days sucks.

Yep, I readied 21 submissions for PCGS, rushed off to the post office...and, you know the rest of the story.

foreheadslap.gif

Although, strictly not a SCD, I fell in love with it.

As well you should have! That is a very, very nice example of that medal. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I saw pretty nice example of that piece at a coin show a couple of years before I started collecting SCD’s. It stopped me in my tracks as I was passing the dealers table. I was very tempted to buy it, but decided to pass on it as I was not collecting medals at that time. Now, I wish I had bought it. tonofbricks.gif

John

That 1893 Worlds Fair medal is in great shape and you have the presentation box too! I bought one this year but there was no box. It is a huge metal too at 3 inches.

Since Barber designed the reverse, were these medals produced my US mint employees?

1435784-Colsruller.JPG

1435784-Colsruller.JPG.edfd80de03025b36a4c255bbaef6269a.JPG

That 1893 Worlds Fair medal is in great shape and you have the presentation box too! I bought one this year but there was no box. It is a huge metal too at 3 inches.

Since Barber designed the reverse, were these medals produced my US mint employees?

Good question. Perhaps, there are some medal experts here with the answer.

Also, does anyone know how many of these medals were produced?

It is my first large medal. The middle of the case flips, so you can inspect the obverse or reverse, without removing the medal from the case.

The fact that the obverse and reverse were both designed by two of the greatest coin designers is an awesome addition.

Is anyone aware of other such medals?

I could find little information about this medal. I went to the Saint Gaudens national historic site web page and found this:

Gaudens Medal

It shows Gaudens design for the reverse. Too bad there is not more information.

I could find little information about this medal. I went to the Saint Gaudens national historic site web page and found this:

Gaudens Medal

It shows Gaudens design for the reverse. Too bad there is not more information.

Thanks for the link Merc. Interesting story about the reverse. I thought he would have had more created more medals than what they have listed.

At any rate, I have added the other three to my search.