• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1970-S Lincoln OBW Roll Question..

4 posts in this topic

1970-S Lincoln OBW Roll Question.. I recieved a few OBW Rolls of some 1970-S Lincoln Cents today an decieded to open one, just about the middle of the roll I came acroos these 2 coins back to back with this black stuff almost looks to be embeded in the coins. I was wondering what this might be and how does it affect the value of the coins, they are both in great shape minus the revs. being messed up looking. take a look and please fill me in on any info you might be able to offer, thanks

10362zf6.jpg

confused.gif

10361ag4.jpg

The doubling is machine doubling.

As for the black stuff, it's likely that some form of sulfur-bearing material, such as a small piece of roll paper (but there are many other possibilities), got stuck between the coins when they were rolled. The coins show evidence that the surface has been impaired and that the material etched the surface. This is quite common with copper and bronze coins. Does it affect the value? Yes, unfortunately it makes them worth a cent +/- melt.

Hoot