• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you make of this error?

5 posts in this topic

I hate it when someone whose eBay history does not seem right but has something interesting. According to this eBay listing, it is a blank cent planchet with an "alloy error mix." Does anyone have an opinion?

( poke2.gif oops... when does someone around here not have an opinion?!) cool.gif

THANKS!

Scott

My opinion is that this was a regular issue cent that was planed down to make a love token, button or something else and then never finished. It picked up the two-tone look as a stain or from post-Mint processing to clean it up.

It has an upset rim, so I would guess it's a type-two blank-planchet. A type-one blank planchet doesn't yet have an upset rim, and generally they are scarcer and worth more than a type-two. But I don't know what to make of the weird toning. I doubt it's an alloy problem.

I am pretty sure that it is an original blank planchet. But I am also pretty sure that there is nothing unusual going on with the alloy. It looks to me like it was exposed to some sort of liquid. Either one half was exposed to a dip like substance and removed the toning on half the coin, or one half was exposed to some thick, dark liquid and thus developed the dark ugly stain.

Do not bid on this, as there are plenty of attractive blank cent planchets available.