• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frances L. "Mom" Machuga, 1921-2006

27 posts in this topic

I've already told some of you that my Mom passed away last night. It will take some time for me to get used to the fact that Mom is no longer around. When I awoke this morning, I had hoped that it was all just a bad dream and I would be having coffee with her, watch her paint a little and even watch her as she tried to learn how to play pool. Damn, reality sucks!

Mom was born in Lincoln, Nebraska and after high school, she moved to Washington, D.C. to work in the pre-WWII government as so many midwest women did. There, she met my Dad, and they were married December 6, 1941, the day before the attack on Pearl Harbor. Mom wouldn't learn until the 1970's that my Dad wasn't drafted. He enlisted two days after they were married.

Mom always loved art, and she had been painting for 75 years. Many of her works are scattered all over the U.S. and at least three other continents. She enjoyed painting so much that, oftentimes, she would paint one especially for a friend or acquaintance and give it to them as a gift. She was always such a caring and generous person and I will miss her very much.

I love you, Mom!

Chris

Mom, I will also miss you so much! We had spent hours talking on the phone. You were truly one of the funnest and coolest people I know. Thanks for the pastels of Caleb and his sister, Baby Luv. You are the coolest and I will never, ever forget you, mom. I love you and will miss you!

1419213-11_2_104.gif

1419213-11_2_104.gif.37bf79928080ed6b7bea2c2c712ca7af.gif

Chris----You truly loved your mom----I know this cause you took her wherever you went. You have always talked about your mom and dad with great respect. You have honored them and will continue to do that. May they now enjoy one another again with their God. You take care, my friend, and be assured that my prayers are with you at this time. May you get the strength to make it through this terrible loss. Your buddy----Bob [supertooth]

I am truly sorry to hear about your loss. My mom passed away 4 years ago. Since my dad had left us when I was just a baby, my mom essentially raised us kids on her own. It wasn't until I was an adult that I fully appreciated how difficult this must have been, especially in light of the era in which she was raised (b. 1930).

Chris:

My sincere condolences on your loss. Mothers are special people in our lives and your love for her shows in your tributte. May you find comfort in your memories of the good times.

Scott

As I sit here with tears in my eyes as I remember my past loses - I truly feel for you and believe me you will never forget .. The pain may wain a little as the years pass but her Memory and your Love will never seceed to father time ..

Best wishes to you and yours

Mike

I'm very sorry for your loss. frown.gif

I went through a similar phase of expecting someone to be there after my young cousin died four years ago. Remembering the happy times is what helps me.

-Amanda

Sorry for your loss. Sounds like she had a full, wonderful life. It also sounds like you are going to have plenty of memories that will keep you smiling. If you ever get a chance, when the time is right, I'd love to see images of any of her paintings. I don't know ya, but I hope you get through this hard time as best as possible.

I met Frances and Chris in Las Vegas earlier this year. Two of the most affable people that a person might ever meet. Chris's mother was sharp as a tack and obviously a very luminous being. I ate dinner with the two of them and found out that Frances had connections to the Manhattan Project and operations that I've also interfaced with (albeit long after Oppenheimer et al.). Frances struck me as a true intellect and a person of broad insight. She raised a very unique son, and a person of great individuality himself. Chris is like his mother: a deeply caring person and one of true integrity (even though he hussled pool as a kid! 893whatthe.gif) Frances's spirit lives on in Chris and will be with this world in countless unseen ways for many years to come. We can all be grateful.

Hoot

I want to thank everyone for their kind words. Mom took such great pleasure having the opportunity to meet some of you in person. You'll have to pardon me, but I am having a hard time dealing with her loss. It just won't be the same without her.

Thing , once I've had time to sort out the personal matters, I'll try to post some pictures of some of Mom's artwork. She would have liked that.

Thanks again to all!

Chris

Your Mom was one of the few lucky ones to have a son like you . From what all I have read and learned from people here , you have given her a bright shining light and the elusive warm and fuzzies . You are blessed to have had great parents .

They are blessed to have a son they need not worry or fret for.

It is a new day and there will be more . Please continue to share your bright light with those of us that look forward to what you have to share . We share in your loss , in realization that we only share each other for this short duration here , until we meet again , long after earthly possessions cease to matter and how we lived is not a measure , but a past glow of what we will become . As you continue to bear your torch , in the present -the gift - we are here with you Chris .

Chris.......I feel just aweful for missing this post. Wow I can't believe she is gone and I can only imagine the loss you feel right now. She was a truly wonderful person and I am very sad right now as I type this. Please PM me if you ever want to talk and I'd be happy to call you and try to help you through this impossible time.

She may be gone but she will never be forgotten.

Matthew 5:4

"Blessed are they who mourn, for they will be comforted"

Chris,

It is still early and there are no easy ways to recover. Cling to your family and friends - and it is obvious you have a number of close friends on the forum. Don't hesitate to contact anyone you are close to and express your anger, pain, sadness, and particularly the rememberances you have. Try not to shut down or close off the emotions. Above all SHARE the good times and be sure to laugh when remembering the fun times.

In time, the hard crushing pain of loss will ease.

You will be remembered in my thoughts and prayers.

Dotty