• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Old gold anyone?

13 posts in this topic

Well, not old like World gold can be, but not bad for U.S. standards... just uploaded to my signature set (transitional pieces):

1417036-1838ClassicHd%245XF45PCGS06-207.JPG

(For those of you who know of recent developments for me, I purchased this piece early in the summer before all the dog doo hit the fan. I'm trying my best to hold on to such pieces, as they are at the heart of my collection efforts.)

Hoot

589a915ab4d7e_1417036-1838ClassicHd5XF45PCGS06-207.JPG.751a156978dc68fffb4b8c5255404449.JPG

Excuse my ignorance, but when you say "transitional", does that mean that you are planning to replace the year and mint for a better grade?

Nope - just read the introductory text to the set.

Hoot

Mark, I just love the gunkification process around the devices! cloud9.gif That's my kind of dirt. cloud9.gif As for your dog doo, nobody has enough information to have the right to question your motives for what you keep, sell or buy. thumbsup2.gif

I'm glad that you got this piece, Mark. I always thought that my Classic Head $5 gold belonged in your collection but I'm just too partial with it to depart with. cool.gif

Ooops, hold the phone, that is a different type so....nevermind. blush.gif

1417114-1836stacked.jpg

1417114-1836stacked.jpg.f2f4b2238be08a369f61de46050d3ce6.jpg

Beyond a doubt, this is my favorite issue of the transitional half dollars of 1836-1840. The visage of Seated Liberty is the closest of any of the subsidiary denominations to the original effigy engraved by Gobrecht. The details of Liberty’s face are the most noticeably different than that of Gobrecht’s dollar and the relief has been lowered, but overall, the similarities are remarkable and the “drapery” (part of Liberty’s chiton) had not yet been added to her left elbow. I believe it is likely that Gobrecht began to modify the portrait of Liberty in order to attain better metal flow by this time, but the modifications were quite subtle. The “no drapery” half dollar of 1839 is a truly unique design among the seated Liberty series and is more delicate overall than any subsequent subtype. (Again, the Red Book is misleading, calling subtypes “varieties” and not properly distinguishing the 1839 no drapery subtype, calling it Variety 1 as a “no motto” piece.) The lettering of the reverse is delicate, like that of the 1836-37 reeded edge half dollars. The portrait of Liberty has a clean look about her (as does the entire coin), and is not overburdened with the seemingly “massive” features of later years that bent to the practical hands of Hughes. The mintage of the no drapery 1839 half is not known, but there are few enough survivors that PCGS and NGC combined have graded less than 300 in all grades. Finding a specimen in high AU or Unc. condition is quite tough, and may require a very long wait for the collector who demands originality. Like quarter dollars (and even dimes and half dimes), this denomination was largely hoarded and melted in the years of 1849-1853, and again in the Civil War years. Thus, there are not likely many survivors of this unique piece floating about.