• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do paper coin rolls damage cents?

7 posts in this topic

I'm going through my collection of cents, including 3-400 wheats, and I'm taking out the best of them for my Lincoln Dansco album. The rest of the wheats need to be stored - I'm considering selling them at some point - as well as the copper memorials. What could I expect to see in 50 years if I kept the cents in paper bank rolls? Any damage?

Hmm... Could be. I just can't keep the coins in the rolls long enough for any form of anything to develop. You may wanna store them in tubes or something if you're worried about acid from long-term storage.

I'm storing my ~thousand in plastic tubes. It could get expensive over time, and in the eventuality of the cent being withdrawn from production and me going to the bank every month to buy a $100 worth it could get very expensive ... but tubes for 400 cents would cost you like $2-5 and then you wouldn't have to worry about paper.

A loss. These probably won't keep pace with inflation so your money could be much more useful in something else. Trade them for some 1999 BU rolls or something. These would be at more risk from the paper but at least they have a chance at returning a profit or being of real interest.

Having bought I'm sure thousands of paper-wrapped rolls of cents over the years, they do get toned by the sulfur content, but it's a pleasing, wholesome original patination, not "damage" (my opinion). Cents can apparently be stored in plastic tubes for decades with NO perceivable change in patination, in my experience.