• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Removing coins from Dansco albums

8 posts in this topic

Just a quick question:

I've recently started a lincoln cent ('09-'06) dansco for circulated cents I am collecting. Most of the cents from the 50s and earlier are pretty well circulated, but I'm pulling out some nice pieces from the memorial years. I'm getting ready to start a kennedy dansco as well.

My problem is that when I want to remove a coin, I've got to remove the front and rear slides. I'm concerned about leaving slidemarks on the coins, so I'm trying to place the coin as close to the middle between the slides as I can, but I'm having a hard time doing it. Will the slides hurt circulated coins, or are uncirculated coins the only ones I need to worry about? I generally try and blow out any dust/cardboard motes with canned air prior to opening a slide and prior to placing a coin in, but those little specks are impossible to 100% do away with. Anyone got a better option? Do those specks bug the heck out of you too?

Michael,

Here is what I do. First I clean all the dust from the empty album using canned air. Don’t skimp on the air! Then I push the back slide into the album until it is tight. I place the coins into the album so that they bottom out on the back slide, this way the front slide can be removed and replaced without coming into contact with the obverse of the coins.

If the coins need to be removed at a later date, all that needs to be done is to push up gently on the back slide.

John

I recommend that you do not attempt to place the coins "halfway" into their respective holes. What I do is push the coin in as far as it will go, such that it is actually touching the back slide. This gives maximum headroom for the top slide to be easily manipulated with no chance of touching the coin. I NEVER remove the back slides, and in fact, I sometimes glue tape them in place so they can't move.

To remove a coin, you remove the front slide and push the coin out by pressing upward on the bottom non-moving slide. In other words, you will be pressing the plastic against the coin to push it up and out of the holder. However, this will not damage the coin or impart slide marks. It is perfectly safe to press the clean, smooth and contaminant free back slide against the coin during its removal.

I've always used this method, and have never ever caused even the slightest hairlining of any of my coins.

I haven't had any problems! Now, please bear in mind that I very seldom remove my coins from their Dansco albums, but what I described has always worked for me.

Good luck, and if you do try what I suggested, please post back your thoughts, whether yea or nay! It could help somebody else out there in a similar dilemma.

With my collection, particularly the cents, I'm going to be upgrading coins fairly frequently, and cents take a fair bit of force to remove if pressing through the back slide. Even if I only upgraded each coin in each slide only once, that would be around 12 times those slides get pushed. Are they going to get torn up? Can you buy replacement slides?

Michael,

Other then taping the back slides in place, the method that James said he uses is exactly the same as the one I had already posted, and like James I have never had a problem with even a single coin, including cent and dimes.

As long as you carefully use gentle pressure when pushing on the back slide to remove a coin, you should have no problem. Oh, and yes, spare slides are available from Dansco.

John