• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When is it time to put down the coins for a bit??

37 posts in this topic

I recently have been thinking about alot of things in my life. I am at a pretty big crossroads I think. I am 23 and have been working at our family shop since I was about 18. I handle all the online sales for our shop. The job is ok, and I like the hours. The main drawback is I know this shop will not be around forever. My father plans to retire in 5 more years or so he says. I will believe that when I see it. We own a music shop selling guitars etc. This used to be a specialized industry, but one of which is going the way of the mass merchants. The music industry as a whole is not looking all that well. The market is oversaturated with products, the chinese are taking over the building, products are cheaper, and the invention of the internet has created people selling out of thier garages etc. At any rate we have adapted, with the times or we would not be there still. 26 years and running. Well now I have gotten to a point in my life where I feel like I am spinning my tires in the mudd with alot of things. Alot of things about life seem so blah right now, including coins to a degree. Don't get me wrong I still like coins alot and the ones I own I would prolly never part with. I know there is a wealth of coin knowledge still to be learned and many great people to learn it from but lately I have not had the interest to do so. I have been generally unmotivated about alot of things. I am thinking I may put down the coins for a bit and try something else. Not sure what yet or exactly when. I am also thinking about my future, since our shop will not be around forever. I sorta feel like I am wasting my mind doing the job I am doing. Sure its great to help out the family and work for them, but the job I am doing is so BLAH at times and it seems mickey mouse to me. I know my knowledge of what I do is worth something, but honestly its too easy for me. I do website work on the side, but thats also very easy as well. In essence I am not challenging myself. I think it may be time for a career change. One of the thing I have givin serious thought to was joining the ARMED FORCES. I have always liked the idea of serving the country I love. I think its a great way to give back to this country and also it will get me pointed in the right direction using my mind more. After I got out of high school I took some college courses for computer repair since that was an interest of mine. The classes were a joke basically as I knew like 95% of what was being taught and done. All I did was buy some expensive books. I could easily get certified as a computer tech. but thats not the route I really want to go. I found out quick that was also too mickey mouse for me. How many Windows installs can you do, or inside component installs. So all this rambling post boils down to is I need something new in my life. I really think the armed forces would be a great thing for me. Your thoughts?

When I graduated high school, I was at a crossroads. My dad had died when I was 16 and I had no direction. I made good grades in school but, being 18 in Las Vegas, I couldn't find a good job. So, I joined the Navy for 6 years. I was in the most advanced program they had but I had no job satisfaction. The officers and senior enlisted had no real life experience which made them immature in many ways. Don't misunderstand me, I met many people who I highly respected. However, I actually became more immature during my stint in the service. Perhaps if I was a corpman I would have gotten more out of it. But I did see the world. I've now been to 20 countries and all 50 states. But it seems to me that most enlisted personel were counting down the days to get out. Most people who re-enlisted were the ones who were afraid of the insecurities once they got out. So, I doubt that you will like it. But, of course, I could be wrong.

It is very hard to find one's niche in life. I was lucky and found mine in diagnostic imaging. I went to x-ray school which was but a 72 credit hour program at UNLV. I've since learned cat scan and MRI. I still love my job after 13 years and have never had one inkling of regret!

Echocardiography is a darn good program to get into. It is ultrasound of the heart. It is a job in demand with great pay.

Just because you are idle, don't make any rash decisions. If you do go into the services then make sure that you have a good school guaranteed in writing. Also know that you are not obligated until you actually raise your hand and swear to defend the United States and its constitution.

I think that it would be cool to actually make violins and guitars from scratch.

Well, Bruce, you have been a good friend to me and I sincerely hope that you find your niche in life. I still think that the medical field is a no lose proposition but we have to make our own choices in life.

Know that I intended no disrespect to anyone currently serving in the military or other vets. I was just relaying my own experience and opinion.

Good luck, Bruce!

Victor in these last couple of years I have learned alot about myself. I have learned about how some jobs can pay well and still not be a good job. In fact I have learned a great deal about life in general. I think it would be great to serve the country I love. I know all the risk involed with enlisting, etc. Thats one chance I would be willing to take for the right cause. I also think they could get me pointed in the right direction as in a career.I have alot of knowledge and alot of skills. Many of which I am not curently using. I think the armed forces could put some of my knowledge to work for them. Making a violin or guitar from scratch can be fun one or 2 times, but then it becomes like working on an assembly line. I think I just need a change of life for some time. What a better way to do it then to help out the country I love. There is alot to think about and I will think about it long and hard before I make any decisions. Thanks for the imput.

You could always have the Navy or Army train you as an x-ray tech!

There are like a million and one jobs to be done for armed forces. If I decide to join I sure I will find one I like. X-rays would be pretty cool.

Just beware of recruiters! They are slick and will lie and deceive to get you to enlist. Have your school guaranteed and in writing, period! Don't let them con you into enlisting without a guaranteed, advanced school because they very well may try to con you.

Thanks for the heads up. When I got outta high school the recuiters used to call me all the time. After about a year or 2 they stopped. Now maybe I will be going to see them after all.

Hi Bruce,

I'm 24, so we're approximately the same age. My path thus far has led me from undergraduate school (BS in Biology) to a 'holding pattern year' where I worked as a lab tech to pay the bills, through this fall, when I started a MS program in Wildlife ecology. I'm still not certain what I want to be doing when I get out, but I am sure of one thing. My work philosophy is that work is something we do to pay the bills so that we have the resources necessary to do what we want with our lives. For me, the most important things in my life are my family (I just got married a little over a year ago and we eventually want a couple kids), my hobbies (I like coin and doing a little traveling to do my birding), church, and just generally a little time to myself. In my line of education/work, I see many people who have made their work their life. There's lots of divorces, lots of shacking up and breaking up, lots of - frankly - obsessive compulsive workers in the sciences. I enjoy what I do. It's probably as close to getting paid for one of my hobbies as I'm going to get (I'm working on an aspect of ornithology, and I'm a fanatic birder). Still, at the end of the day, I try to get what I have to do done and get out of there. I don't put any more time or energy into work than I have to to get what I'm doing done and done properly. This will probably mean I'll never advance to the highest positions in a department (chair or dean) but that's not what's important to me. A steady, fairly enjoyable job that lets me have time and enough resources to do the important things in life is what matters to me the most.

I'm not sure if that really has any bearing on your life, but I guess that's one thing to consider. Make your priorities what really counts. Afterall, when you're dying on your bed one day, are you going to be remembering back to a lifetime of putting in extra hours at the office, or to spending more time enjoying your life and your family?

If the military is where you want to go, I'd consider it. You have the option of doing a lot of advanced computer-based stuff, which seems to be one of your strong areas. I would only suggest a few considerations (I've never served, obviously, so I don't have all the details). (1) Make sure that you know exactly what you will be getting into before you join - you want to know where and what you'll be doing and know that you'll enjoy it. (2) Make certain that you'll be leaving with a job skill that is not just a skill, but one in demand. My grandfather left the army after WWII with training as an aircraft mechanic. A great job if you could get one, but there were literally thousands of aircraft mechanics after WWII, and he ended up working in a dairy maintaining equipment for much of his life. (3) Consider the demands of a family. You're still young, but when you consider that you may find that special girl sometime in the next few years and that women generally need to start having any children they will have by around 30, will you be in a position to get married and have kids if you desire (and desires change as you grow a little older). The military can be murder on relationships and marriages. (4) Reconsider going to school for a full 4-year or 3+2 BS/MS degree in some aspect of computing that you might enjoy. The benefits of a Master's degree (or even a PhD) are significant in terms of lifetime pay, but have a slew of pros and cons.

Just some thoughts. Good luck with your decision!

This is an interesting post, Bruce, and I would suggest that you think long and hard about what you want to do before making a commitment one way or the other. The part about coins is trivial; put them away if you don't want to sell them and just return at a later date. They don't go bad. The part about life is more complex.

I'm Victor's age but have never served in the military, however, my father-in-law spent a significant portion of his life in the Navy. I will share my impressions of my father-in-law's experiences based upon knowing him for 14 years and speaking with him about the military at length. Also, please keep in mind that my father-in-law initially joined the Navy in the early 1960s and I am certain things are different now.

My father-in-law grew up in MA, was a good student in high school and joined the Navy at an age slightly younger than you. Similar to you, two of the reasons he joined were to get a direction in life and to avoid spinning his wheels. I believe he served eight years, left the Navy and then returned for an additional eight years before leaving one last time. I will state again to please keep in mind these are only my impressions from speaking with him and knowing him, but I believe what he learned was to take orders, to keep a low profile and to just do your time.

For many years he had very little personal time or space and had to make few, if any, daily decisions regarding himself or his interests. Of course, the largest plus for him was that he met my mother-in-law while stationed in Japan, and they of course had my wife as their daughter. However, he was absent from my wife's life during nearly the entire time he was in the military and to this day he treats our two daughters as if he has never been around a baby or toddler previously, and this is because he was never home when my wife was a child. My wife and mother-in-law also lived in near poverty conditions while he was at sea, and I can imagine that this would put a stress on many families.

My father-in-law left the Navy after eight years, and to hear him talk about it nearly everyone was counting the days until they could leave, too. In his case, however, I do not believe the military helped him with his private career and I think in part this might be because he closely followed orders all day, every day, for so many years that once he left he didn't have a feel for private life and living. He performed small jobs and low paying jobs for several years until joining the Navy again, but this time I think his satisfaction was less, though he stayed another eight years. This meant that my wife has lived in HI, CA, DE, PA, NY, FL, SC and Spain and that she attended a different school each year she was in high school. During his second stint he was also given a land-based position as a recruiter because he was so highly thought of in his job. He hated being a recruiter because he said he was forced to lie to potential incoming individuals and was eventually replaced in his post.

Leaving the military a second time seemed to be much like leaving the first time for him. His post-military career included shift work in a batter assembly plant and several jobs stocking shelves in grocery stores. My in-laws live very modestly in rural FL and, even though my father-in-law collects coins, he could never realistically aspire to afford what it is that is already in your collection. Also, I believe the military has the contractual right to recall discharged personnel for up to eight years after discharge, which means that whatever you may be doing in life when and if you leave is subject to being shelved if recalled to duty. This happens for some ranks, skills and positions more than others, but it is happening now.

Please take note that I am certain the military is different now than it was during those years, that much of my father-in-law's experience must have been shaped by his own personality and that I can only offer an imperfect assessment of his experiences.

Bruce Lee-----Time for an 'older' opinion. And I never pull my punches about something as serious as a person's future. So, here is an idea that might have some merit. As you probably already know, our government is always interested in our bright kids. Jobs abound in all areas. When my daughter was a junior in high school, she received many invitations to go to Washington, D.C. The top ranked kids from all over this country came and went. Cost me a thousand bucks for her to get a flavor of the CIA, Defense Dept. etc. etc. The next year was more of the same---as she had established herself as a person with potential. But, Bruce, why I tell you her story is just one thought that she came home with. It was sort of revealing. At one of the lectures that she attended---the gentleman said something close to these words. None of you would have been invited here if you did not have potential. It does not matter what you major in at school. If, when you get out, you want a job, come and see us. We will train you. We will find you a place that will suit you and us. So, my suggestion to you is this. Do not go to a recruiter. Go to the people where the real action is----Washington. If you are as good with computers as you say, and with the love of your country that I see from your statements, I think a trip to the big city of our nation's capitol----may be an answer. I do not say to go cold turkey. But I do say to pick up the phone and talk awhile. You are an unfulfilled young man---seemingly with a tremendous upside. Why not go all the way and try to find a real important future that will benefit both you and our government?? I am not sure whether Karen still has those papers or not? I can ask if you want me to. But, does not matter. You, like her, have the ability and the motivation to investigate on your own. My daughter [turns 21 in Jan.] is now a junior---I heard the word grad school for the first time just a couple of weeks ago. She has motivation----apparently so do you. With motivation and desire and patience----you can definitely find a very successful niche in life. And, I predict that you will do fine---and that you will come back to your coins over time as a major hobby. I also predict that, although your mom and dad may be hurt---and may try to talk you out of it at first---- they will ultimately be proud of you and will support your efforts. They will realize that you need a further challenge in your life. Well, I guess that is enough from this old dentist for now. Good luck and my prayers will go with you and whatever decision that you eventually may make. Bob [supertooth]

Hey Bruce ...

I put the coins away for 10 years or so ... but I really don't think that has any bearing on your First Life Crisis smile.gif - Yes you will have more and at anytime ( I am sure Bob can attest ) .. I have had 4 or five myself and the resolution all came down to thouroughly thinking through your options, discussing them with family members and friends for input and obviously bring your significant other into the issue ( If she is a keeper smile.gif ) It looks as though a lot of your friends are right here giving you some good advice and enlightenment so your on the right track

I too am not sure the "Service" is the right venue you for you either ... Unless you feel you need the struture in your life ALONG with a trade resource. Sounds like your head is screwed on pretty straight to me ...

Schooling is probably a good avenue but then what for smile.gif ... Well I can tell you one NOT to get into .. Machining - My Best friend is a Class A Machinist and is a top 10 or 15% in the NorthEast in what he does and cant get a job .. All contracts are being shipped over seas ...

My Industry ( Auto Repair ) would loved to have you and is probably one of the only industries that you HAVE TO KEEP SCHOOLED to stay competitive and to keep up with the technological advances.

As a matter of fact it is computers that accellerated my expertice in this field as I was very computer literate at a young age and when they started putting computers into cars I was way ahead of the repair industry in my area Dealers were sending me their PROBLEM vehicles.

Let me give you a little bit of my Job Description

Mechanical Engineer - Brake / Exhaust / Steering / Suspension

Electrical engineer - Wiring / Lighting / Shorts / Ignition systems

Comnputer Engineer - Diagnostics / Programming / IO Wiring and Repair

Chemical Engineer - Emissions diagnostics / Combustion Process and Repair

In Process is alernative fuels - Electrical or otherwise

This is the reason after 32 years in this industry I am still challenged and Interested in where this field is going next ..

Many GOOD tech schools that you could get into for this industry.

Good Luck Bruce ...

Mike

Bruce, I'm inclined to agree with Bob. I almost had the opportunity to get OJT in the space program at Goddard Space Flight Center in Maryland. Unfortunately, I received a draft notice shortly thereafter and there was nothing I could do because Viet Nam had a higher priority than the space program. That has always been one of the biggest disappointments in my life.

One of my nephews who lives in Northern Virginia completed his Masters Degree in computer technology at George Mason University, and he now works for Lockheed in their Defense Department program. They started him at $72,000 annually. Another nephew in Maryland who is very good in computer programming is working for another defense-related company, and he is earning $75 an hour, parttime, while he completes his Masters Degree. Perhaps you should take the next few years before your dad retires and take some college courses in computer science. Yeah, I know, the initial courses can be boring at times, but they are required. Try to get your AA Degree. and then take a trip to Washington, D.C. as Bob suggests.

I wonder what I would be doing now if I had been able to earn a degree in astrophysics. I would have loved to work at NASA. C'est la vie!

Chris

Bruce, I saw your post and wasn’t sure how to advise you. After reading suggestions by others I have to say you are getting some good feedback. What Mike just posted would reflect my views completely. You will be challenged many times through out your life.

From what I can see about you from where I’m setting I would have to say I think you are a smart young man. You have made the first most important step toward a transition that all of us must face through out life’s journey and that is the fact that you have obviously recognized your situation.

Many things in this world have changed since I was your age. I was in the Auto Repair Industry, I opened my first shop before I was 25 years old and ran with it successfully for 22 + years. You talk about changes; I’m sure Mike can attest to that. Everything is constantly changing, industry, technology, information, economics, economy, etc. etc.

My bet would be what ever you come up with, once you get settled you will likely return to collecting with new found enthusiasm. Good luck in what you decide.

Bruce,

You've already received much good advice here. It’s hard for me to determine what’s best for you. Not only do I hardly know you, the only one who can really make the decision is the person in the mirror – you. cool.gif

While I’ve never served in the military, I can pass along the following. I’m in the field of IT and used to work with a guy who had served with the Army Rangers for a while right out of high school. He said the experience was okay, but one thing he never liked was the lack of freedom he felt. When he signed up, he was bound to service for X number of years. On the other hand, in his civilian life, he could simply walk out on a job if he ever wanted to. Of course, there are obvious ramifications to doing so, but I think you get the point.

Now, that being said, my wife has a cousin who went to the Air Force Academy and is still active in the service, another that went to West Point and is currently in civilian life, and their dad (her uncle) retired as an Army Captain after serving for 25 years. Some of the other posts here regarding travel and a somewhat transient existence applied to their family as well. When my wife’s uncle was active in the Army, his family had to move around constantly, through many states and even a few different countries.

If you have a desire to “serve”, don’t forget the many different options this could entail. Government (Federal, state, or local), law enforcement (everything from a beat officer to detective work, to even forensics), many different disciplines in the field of medicine, and the list goes on and on. You might even consider service with groups like the American Red Cross, or even the Peace Corps.

The best advice I can give is to spend some time in self-reflection. Think about what you currently do in your daily life that gives you the most satisfaction. Even the simplest thing might be a clue. A love of music and a desire to “give back” to the community could turn into a career teaching music, for example. That of course is just one example.

Also think about the aspects of potential careers/jobs. What kind of work schedule would you prefer? -- 9-5, variable shifts, always on call, etc. What kind work environment? -- Typical office, a lab, an academic campus, outdoors, work-from-home combined with some travel, etc. How would you prefer to be compensated? Steady paycheck, commission-based pay, getting paid by the job, some money and some other compensation such as room & board, etc.

On a final note, realize that unless you’re a full-time dealer, coins are but a small part of life. You can put them aside and they will always be waiting for you whenever you want to spend more time on the hobby. My numismatic desire often ebbs and flows. I will become quite interested for a while, and then put the hobby aside for a bit, only to return at a later time.

Best wishes for you and whatever path you choose. thumbsup2.gif

I came very close to attending the Citadel in SC, but ultimately decided that I was already sufficiently "structured." Then, while I was attending college elsewhere, I came within an inch of joining ROTC because I needed help with the rising cost of tuition despite scholarships, financial aid, and work-study programs.

I remember my interview with the ROTC recruiter on campus very well even though it occurred almost 25 years ago. He asked me for my Social Security number. I responded by saying "Oh Six Five . . . ." He interrupted me to say, "Oh is a letter; zero is a digit." The recruiter was right, of course; but I decided at that instant that I couldn't live under the thumb of the Army for the four years following college.

Isn't it strange how the smallest event can serve as a turning point in one's life? There's no hurry here, Bruce.

Bruce, I wrote you a very long pm but then deleted it because I don't think it would be good of me to give advice to someone I don't really know. So my question to you is, and I'm not looking for a public answer here, is why the military?

And please, believe me, I support all men and women in uniform, I've worked for the Department of Defense, the Secret Service, and the Veteran's Administration for years, on and off, while I was in practice. But as a civilian. Beyond being given orders in Karate class, I was never too good at following them and had an even harder time with stomaching them. Literally. So my question that I would hope would become your question, is why the military? And in (privately) listing out the things you THINK joining the military will provide for you, maybe you can use that as a means for self reflection as to what it is you are really looking for, and then, perhaps, use that to help you make a more informed decision.

Today is a new day and a fresh mind. I decided to pull out some coins to look at and see if my interest was still there. I went through a good portion of coins and I found quite a few I had sorta forgotten about. Gave me a renewed sense of the hobby thumbsup2.gif

Bruce , I am very long-winded and could take a whole page to say what all I'm thinking . This is just another idea for the ole camera bag . Have you thought of joining the Reserves? You can get the full training in a field of your choice with the branch of your choice (Army,Navy,Airforce , Marines , ,ETC) . Upon completion of training , you can return home to find a job or pursue higher education to further your field , and then serve one week-end a month and one two-week training event each year , plus you can attend service schools for skill and professional development at different times through out the year . You could face deployment for up to a year during the current and any future conflicts , though.

I had similar thoughts , way back when and thought I was going to follow the family tradition of serving , going to college and seeking a degree , and then make a career choice and follow the standard outline for what we call life and just fill in all the blanks along the way . I instead chose a totally different route than the one I had laid out.

On reflection , so far , there was no way I could have imagined that I would be where I am today if I had stuck with the draft my family tried to push me towards...it was the best they could hope for me from their point of view , but obviously , not what worked for me. I do not consider myself to have failed anyone by making the choices I made on my own and my parents are proud of what I have accomplished . I enjoy what I now do and what I have done before . In essence , I do not dread the daily grind ...wake , work , sleep , weekend sport , wake work, sleep ad naseum .

The key to solving your question lies in finding what you like ; find what you enjoy and you will be successful . All the great heroes have one single common trait and that is ....they love what they do...the success followed ...they do not do it strictly for the financial reward as much as the pleasure of doing what they enjoy best . Look at Golf : Jack Nicholas , Tiger Woods , Arnold Palmer ....read books about self-made financially affluent people , most of which never finished high school or even attended college and learned not to think within a defined box , but rather without limitations of a future of daily grind and dog-eat-dog....they did not follow the society model of being the factory worker or the people running the factories...they made their own paths .

Look at Mark Salzberg....hip-pocket dealer to working into the coin biz , to where he is today with NGC - all from a little indian head penny . He obviously cares not just about making a buck , but about this hobby/industry and he is doing well by doing well by it.

Trust me , this is short compared to what I was going to PM to you , but I hope you get the gist of it , and anyone else who reads it.

I did attend college , but it did not drive my career , I did serve 20 years with the Army Reserves and did get deployed three times , I served both enlisted as a Non-Commissioned officer and did seek, obtain and serve as a commissioned officer .

I have had several businesses , and worked for others . To get what you want out of life , enjoy what you have and know what you enjoy....that is the pursuit of happiness our founding fathers wrote into that document declaring our independence , for out of the freedom to chose to do what it is that makes us happy , will we find liberty to excell , not through rules that say you have to work 9-5 in a factory or lab prison cell until you are used up and retired ....that is existing , not living a life ( unless you are doing what you enjoy and have time to do what you like at home).

Use education and opportunity to be the best at what you enjoy , the rest will follow. It really is that simple ...don't box yourself in and make it more difficult than it is...K.I.S.S. principle : Keep It Simple Sam .

Bruce:

First, there is nothing wrong with putting aside a hobby and exploring other interests. As I have found, after the exploration, I have other interests but my interests in numismatics is now stronger than it ever has been. Now that I am older (and allegedly wiser), I appreciated the diversions and would not trade them for anything.

Second, if you choose to put the hobby aside, I would suggest that you put it aside and don't liquidate. In my younger years, I had accumulated some neat items in various pursuits only to have my parents "throw them away" during a cleaning binge. While I probably wouldn't have gone back into baseball cards, I had some that I have seen sell for well over the price of the wax paper pack I bought in the 1960s!

Finally, consider all of your options. I will not denegrate military service. Although I did not serve (I came of age just after Vietnam and the end of the draft), I have met a lot of great people who used to work in the military. Remember, military service is not all guns, planes and shooting people up (although you may start in the infantry or front-line support), there are other skills that are necessary to support their missions. I have met so many retired military people who had very interesting jobs while in uniform that sometimes I regret my decision not to serve.

But there are other ways to serve. You can work for the government directly. Not only would you be providing services for your country, but the benefits are wonderful. One of the best benefits are the ones where the government pays for your education! I know of many people who have taken advantage of the educational opportunities to earn masters degrees at government expense. While you go to school part-time, you continue your work and your advancement is nearly guaranteed. I have worked with many government workers who have taken advantage of these opportunities. It is a great benefit to the individual but also to the government who gets the benefit of your knowledge. You can check out their job postings at usajobs.gov to see what is available.

You can also work for a contractor. Where I live in the DC area, there are many contractors to work for who provide services to all branches and agencies. They povide diverse environments and the ability to work on many different projects during your career. I have a friend who is now working at NASA after working at Treasury for three years. He is having a good time at Goddard!

Many of these jobs are high tech in nature. But there are other areas that help the government including project management, financial management, business process management, policy analysis, etc. You can check out The Washington Post's website for an idea of what is in the area.

Finally (really this time laugh.gif), if you associate yourself with any of these areas with a technology focus, you can work for a Federally Funded Research and Development Center (FFRDC). An FFRDC provides services for the government that the government cannot do for themselves, should be doing for themselves, but not a good fit for many contractors. When you work for an FFRDC, you are a partner with the government and your mission becomes their mission. You and your collegues would provide expert advice to the government to ensure their success. FFRDCs are usually non-profit entities. You will make more money than a government employee but less than other for-profit entities. But I think the work is more satisfying. It's a way of serving the government but make a civilian salary!!

I happen to work for an FFRDC for an agency under the Department of the Treasury. I have been doing this for over five-and-one-half years and looking forward to being here a while. I feel like I am performing the public service I missed in the 1970s.

Whatever you decide to do, figure out what your ultimate goal is and set a path for that goal. Make sure the path is a little flexible to allow for the inevitable roadblocks, but follow that plan. My late first wife was a diver. She would tell me that the mantra for divers is "plan your dive and dive your plan." It is a good analogy for life! GOOD LUCK!

Scott

Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders and if you are thinking about this now, I think its a sign of good things to come. Two words of advice. Never be in a hurry to get married and don't let "love" interfere with planning your future. I quit college because my mind got messed up and heart broken by a two bit slut. I was just a 20 year old kid. I had to do something when I quit college, so I went to work for the Texas Dept. of Criminal Justice as a correctional officer for about 5 years. I've been self-employed for the last 9 years making a good living. I highly recommend working for yourself if you can. BUT, if I had it to do over, I would of went to our local college for 2 years in their Nuclear Medicine program. You never know from year to year about being self employed, and I wish I had something like that to fall back on. Its still possible I suppose, since all my basics are out of the way. BUT, back to my point, keep your overhead and debt low, don't let the little head think for the big head, and you can do whatever your heart tells you to do in life.

OH YEA, once thing I would recommend. If you want to join the Armed Forces, thats great, but consider what my neighbor did at the age 21. He got a job on a cruise ship. Spent 8 years sailing in the Caribbean, having fun, getting paid for it. GREAT life for a single guy. He met his wife that on a ship. If you go back to college, get a degree that will be useful and avoid the [embarrassing lack of self control] like PoliSci and BusinessAdmin.

Bruce: I am at the other end of my professional life, I am retired. However, for whatever it is worth, I have some thoughts about the ideas which you discussed.

I went into the Army just after High School and was a Medical Corpsman for (3) years. I learned a great deal and matured a lot, but Army life is mostly a waste of time with soldiers counting the days to get out. I was not a good student in High School, although I did much better in college. The Army motivated me to do well. My oldest son was in the Navy for (6) years and went to ABC Electronics School which gave him a well-paid trade when he got out. His experience was mostly good. Recruiters are liars and need to be pinned down on service school promises (in writing) before signing up. My oldest daughter drifted for awhile in college but now has earned a PhD. and is a College Professor.

I attended Junior College when I left the service and was certified in a trade (Mechanical Drafting). This paid the bills while I worked my way up in my field (Machine Design Engineering). I was married with kids when I graduated from college with a BS in Business with honors. Later on, I earned a MBA in Finance and worked up into Engineering, Manufacturing and later, Management.

I have collected coins for over (40) years but never really considered it as a career. Coin markets have always been too cyclical and dealers (mainly) too cynical for me. You strike me as an intelligent person. I think that it may take you awhile to find your niche, just as it took my daughter and I awhile. You are young and still have lots of time too find something that you would like to do with your life. I feel that you will find something that you like to do with your life.

The most important thing for my (5) kids, was that they end up doing what they want and are tempermentally suited to do. Their careers run the gamut from technician to professor. Two children never went to college. Three children graduated from college. There are lots of opportunities out there.

My advice addresses two of your issues. First, as many others have suggested, don't get rid of your collection. I took a haitis from collecting while I was in college and though I would have liked the extra cash, I'm glad that I didn't liquidate. I only suggest doing this if you need the money, since in a decade, you might regret getting rid of them a lot.

The other has to do with a career choice. While I'm not in the same situation as you, I think that you might be able to pull a helpful smidgen from it. During high school, I applied to college because I just assumed that was what I was supposed to do next in life. I applied for electrical engineering because I liked the electricity unit in 5th grade science. But the more I learned about EE, the more I decided I didn't want to do it, and I decided in April of my senior year of HS to major in astronomy, since that had been a big hobby of mine for about 5 years. I also saw myself at some point in the future being a teacher, and I couldn't see myself teaching the same thing over and over again, so I opted for astronomy because it's a field that constantly changes (as opposed to say, teaching college math).

My senior year of college, I applied for graduate school in astronomy, again because that's what I just assumed was what I was supposed to do next. Then I did some soul-searching and decided that I really liked astronomy, and that I wanted to do research in it as a career. Graduate school was a means to that end. But I'm glad I did it because I finally knew what I wanted to do with my life, and so why I was going to school.

That was a year and a half ago, and I'm now working towards my Ph.D. in astronomy. I'm enjoying what I'm doing (in principle) and I can see myself doing it for many many years to come. I was able to - at least at this point - successfully able to turn a hobby into a career. My dad (who does research in molecular cardiovascular biology) described it as this: "In no other field would I get paid millions of dollars to have fun."

I suppose the moral is that you need to find something that you like. Examine your hobbies and interests. See if you can turn any of them into a career. For example, if you like computers but don't want to do computer repair, what about graphics design, since it's a field that's rapidly becoming highly computerized but many of the previous generation can't keep up with the technology (such as my mom's sister). Or computer programming, applied to a scientific field, such as faster algorithms for medical imaging equipment, or astronomy (I'm using a highly optimized code now for simulating Saturn's rings, but I know that I could do much better if I knew more about C++).

Another idea is to just get a book of various careers from your local library and flip through it, seeing if anything strikes your fancy, before you commit to the armed forces.

Bruce,

Good luck with your search, I know that you'll put all of your effort into new career,I just hope that you find something you enjoy as well. thumbsup2.gif

Joining the military is certainly a worthy idea especially now when you're young and don't have your own family to worry about.

I know that you have a few other hobbies besides coins,have you considered pursuing any of these for more than just entertainment?

Ahhh,what about a hairstylist,you might have something going on there with that afro. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

wink.gif

Give that military idea some serious thought. If you werent into sports in high school, you're probably not going to like the military. You may not like their hours of operation either (24-7). Last but not least, if you join the military, dont be suprised if they actually want you to go into combat. Dont think the only reason you're there is for the schooling or you will have a rude awakening.