• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pretty cool Google weight conversion trick for calculating precious metals

1 post in this topic

A few days ago, I did a post on how to calculate the precious metal content and value in coins and medals. (Link to post) One of my examples was the WTC 9/11 5th Anniversary medallion which came out to about 30 cents worth of gold and silver! (no joke)

Well, someone who read that post sent me a real cool way to simplify weight conversions without having to do all the math. If you recall, for the WTC thing, it is clad in 15mg of 24k gold and 15mg of .999 fine silver. Since both metals are basically pure, all I had to do to calculate the weight of each metal was go to Google and type the following into the search box: foreheadslap.gif

15 mg in troy oz

and out came the answer:

15 milligrams = 0.000482261199 troy oz

How cool is that?

Multiply that by the price of gold and silver, add the two results together and guess what? It's still only about 30 cents worth of precious metal in the WTC thing!

Just keep in mind that if you do use this Google calculator, you still have to multiply any answer by the finess of the metal whose value you are calculating.

So consider my earlier post an academic exercise in how to do the calculations yourself. I myself plan to use the Google calculator going forward.