• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help deciding whether to keep this 1834 Bust Half

9 posts in this topic

I posted this accross the street, but would like input from those of you who don't venture there.

I'll state the grade because what I'm looking for is your opinions on this particular bust half dollar.

I have it in possession, and have the opportunity to return it.

It's in a PCGS 64 holder.

The coin is basically a greyish brown patination. The luster is subdued. I expected more luster, and have seen more luster in other dates of lesser grade. It's funny, because I'll be upset about the apparent lack of luster, will put the slab down on my desk, and all of a sudden, I see obvious cartwheeling as I move away. In part, the plastic and glare off the plastic is impeding. So I'll call it 'subdued'.

The other issue I have with this coin are the two areas on the hair that I've circled. Is this 'cabinet friction'?, the toning is obviously different, and 'less so' in the areas I've circled. The flatness is due to the metal flow, but wouldn't the toning be unchanged in these areas? Perhaps not, if you think that the metal is ? structurally 'different' there than elsewhere. I don't know.

I will say this about the coin. I've looked for an 1834 for quite awhile, in grades below 65. I haven't seen one that I liked. Even in MS grades, most of them look like the cheek has been grazed, and I don't understand it, AND I don't like it, whatever the reason.

This particular Bust is absolutely beautiful, and the modifications of the Bust profile by Kneass, really show well in this coin, I think.

My concerns are it's being somewhate lackluster. Was it overdipped at one time? Is this secondary toning on an overdipped Bust half, or is it secondary toning on a Bust half where the die wear wasn't enough to cause those lines that result in cartwheeling? Or is it an originally toned bust half that impedes the luster? Or is it an originally toned Bust half struck with a die that didn't have enough wear to form those lines responsible for cartwheeling?

The other issue is the two areas in the hair that I've circled.

Is the coin a true MS64? My tendancy is to think that it is, and it's actually quite a beautiful coin, if not gorgeous, but I'd like your opinions. I guess my question is, is it worth MS64 money?

248481815_6cdedb3874.jpg

248481818_cc1547f706.jpg

249055193_86c9dc10f9.jpg

I appreciate any input you might be willing to give. It's an Overton 106 by the way.

I see what you are writing about in the hair and it also appears to be above the eagle's eye on the reverse and may even be on Ms Liberty's nostril and also above her eye. I don't care what these are called, but they have always bothered me and are the reason I have never purchased an MS CBH and doubt that I ever will.

As for what you should do, this obviously seems to be a coin you dearly love, but one that has you deeply conflicted. In my opinion, this will always be a "but" coin. In other words, you will always think of it as "This is a beautiful, wonderful coin, but..." If you can live with that, then keep it; if not, send it back.

At the price for a 64 if you have any doubts, pass!

The hair you have circled could be cabinet friction but it also might reflect a weak strike in that area. Otherwise the coin has good strike details on the reverse. Color is always a consideration and this looks original enough even if it was dipped long ago and allowed to retone.

In my opinion, this will always be a "but" coin. In other words, you will always think of it as "This is a beautiful, wonderful coin, but..." If you can live with that, then keep it; if not, send it back.

I agree with Tom's comment and advice above. Personally, I find the darker/stained areas on Liberty's face and bust, as well as other areas, to be distracting and unattractive. I think the circled areas might be the result of the typical stacking/cabinet friction so often seen on these coins. It is NOT an irreplaceable coin, and if you have to ask on such a piece, my advice is almost alway to pass.

Edited to add: For purposes of comparison, here is a PCGS MS64 example of an 1831 CBH that belongs to a client of mine:

half_1831_pcgs.jpg

I do not find this coin attractive whatsoever, and I think it is overgraded as well. Bear in mind that these appears to be scans, but the color looks very strange.

The areas you circled appear to be what is typically accepted as "cabinet friction", and is not unusual even in upper (MS-65, MS-66) grades, so I don't think they limit the grade. As a type coin, the grade-limiting factors in my opinion are a below-average strike, and poor surface quality. It wouldn't shock me to learn that the coin has been doctored in some manner.

Personally, I wouldn't even think of buying this coin for more than MS-61 wholesale. If you are simply looking for a type coin, you can do much better.

Good luck 893crossfingers-thumb.gif whatever you decide!

Edited to add that I am referring to the coin in the opening post, not to Mr. Feld's client's coin.

I do not find this coin attractive whatsoever, and I think it is overgraded as well. Bear in mind that these appears to be scans, but the color looks very strange.

Nothing uglies-up a coin like a bad scan.

I bet it looks a lot different in hand.

Hays