• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this some kind of bust?

141 posts in this topic

In response to an inquiry, I hereby release the image from any copyright restrictions, and grant permission for anyone to use this image as they wish. Thus, you may copy it, and if you would care to have it as your avatar, by all means, you are welcome!

hail.gif Someone must have a copy of Photoshop. That's how I did my Avatar. It's the $50 gold Indian Head that I "cut out" using Photoshop Elements. Cool stuff!!

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I don't have Photoshop - just the MS-Paint that comes with Windows. I'm doing all of this by hand!

Both Programs have an eraser and a zoom tool. Both are just as hard / easy.

James - I dropped into a coin store in Cour de Alene, Idaho, yesterday on my way back from leaving my dog at the Univ. of Washington vet school frown.gif). (I recalled a post by cpm9ball Chris about a Morgan dollar he bought there.) I rummaged through the junk boxes (typically my favorite thing to do in coins stores) and found this, which made me think of you and this thread!

1414523-1933WingedLib10ccutout06-203.JPG

This cost me all of 2 bucks, and I thought it was the bargain of the day (along with some old foreign copper that I snagged for 25 cents a piece)!

Hoot

1414523-1933WingedLib10ccutout06-203.JPG.94514839bf78c9e640eb03cade22da23.JPG

James - I dropped into a coin store in Cour de Alene, Idaho, yesterday on my way back from leaving my dog at the Univ. of Washington vet school frown.gif). (I recalled a post by cpm9ball Chris about a Morgan dollar he bought there.) I rummaged through the junk boxes (typically my favorite thing to do in coins stores) and found this, which made me think of you and this thread!

This cost me all of 2 bucks, and I thought it was the bargain of the day (along with some old foreign copper that I snagged for 25 cents a piece)!

Hoot

Hoot, I agree with you - two dollars is a STEAL for something like this. This looks like a vintage "ground" version, too, not the latter-day laser-cut portraits I've seen. Very nice, and worth much more in numismatic interest than "dollars"!

Here's my tribute to you:

silhouette113.jpg

silhouette113_.jpg

Hoot

That is really cool, Hoot! It reminds me of the time about 1976 when I was helping my Mom at an arts & crafts show in Chincoteague, VA. There was one vendor who made jewelry from old coins. He used a very small drill bit to make a hole in the field. Then, he put a very small rattail blade through it and attached it to a coping saw. With this, he could remove all of the extraneous metal. I thought it was really interesting, and I found a company called Brookstone that specialized in unusual tools. They used to carry these specialty tools, but I never got around to ordering them.

By the way, that was an interesting article you wrote for Coin Values. Thanks!

Chris

Hoot

frustrated.gif ( wink.gif ) I just got back from a week in Coeur d'Alene yesterday. When I was there last year they had absolutely nothing (CoiNuts, right?), so I didn't bother this time. Are you going to the show in Spokane on the 7th, Hoot?

James - thanks for the tribute to my newfound dime! Yes, I think the coin is one made as you and Chris described with a file or some other cutting device. Lib's nose is a little pointy and the cutout is much more crude than you see with the laser cutouts.

Again, I just love the computer cutouts for these pics and have saved each one!

Great story, Chris - you never cease to amaze me with all that you've had your nose into over the years.

Spiny - I won't be at the Spokane show, but this weekend I'll be passing through again to pick up my dog from the WSU vet center in Pullman. Let me know if you'll be around!

Hoot

Hoot

HOOT!

I just had to show this to you. Check it out (enlarge image by clicking)!

60929063_.jpg

The number googles up with the same information, so he may still be in business?