• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin Shop

6 posts in this topic

Can anyone tell me that if I had a business license for a coin shop, can I buy eagles, proof sets, mint sets from the US Mint at wholesale prices? If I can, how do I set up an account with them? Or do they have someone else that I would have to go threw?

Can anyone tell me that if I had a business license for a coin shop, can I buy eagles, proof sets, mint sets from the US Mint at wholesale prices? If I can, how do I set up an account with them? Or do they have someone else that I would have to go threw?

The US mint has special relationships with level one distributors for SAE silver and SAE gold. You have to go through a very difficult background check, be bonded and have millions of $ in assets to get approved. There are very few level one distributors in the nation. For proof sets and mint sets, you have to be a dealer to get bulk sales of 25 or more. This is not as difficult. You have to contact the US mint for information.

TRUTH

The background check doesnt sound too bad, I am active duty in the Air Force with a TS clearance already. The millions in assets would be the problem. So how does one get the eagles at wholesale for resale in the shop? Go threw the 1 distrubitor?

The background check doesnt sound too bad, I am active duty in the Air Force with a TS clearance already. The millions in assets would be the problem. So how does one get the eagles at wholesale for resale in the shop? Go threw the 1 distrubitor?

Yes. You pay about 2% more from a Level one distributor. A level one distributor will be someone like AMARK, California Numismatic Investments, etc.

TRUTH

Here are the Mint's requirements for their primary dealers:

The minimum ordering requirement for gold and platinum is 1,000 ounces, and for silver is 25,000 ounces.

To become an authorized purchaser, you must:

be an experienced and established market-maker in gold/silver bullion coins;

provide a two-way market for the coins;

be audited annually by an internationally accepted accounting firm;

have established a broad base of retail customers in which to distribute the coins;

have a tangible net-worth of $50 million for Platinum and Gold Eagles and $5 million for Silver Eagles (this requirement may be met using a letter of credit); and (for gold) have sold over 75,000 ounces of any bullion coin over any twelve month period since 1980.

You can see a list of the national dealers on the MInt's website.