• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PCGS Trueview image results

9 posts in this topic

I sent in some coins for PCGS's Trueview imaging. I was amazed with the results.

What I found most pleasing was their high resolution images (they allow you to download a small, medium and large view). With the high resolution, I can see things in my coins that, maybe it's my eyesight, I can't even see with a glass. Also, I just don't have the experience or the equipment to get such crystal clear images. Of course, they have the benefit of shooting the coin outside of it's plastic capsule.

One of the coins, the 1836 which I'll post first, was impossible for me to photograph. Unfortunately, there's a texture to the coin, in the PCGS photos, that is just not there, so something was lost, but, they did capture the coloring, which I just could hardly do.

243864680_419063c63f.jpg

my shot (which took FOREVER, but the surface texture is more realistic, I think):

181588669_d6d84fc610.jpg

with the high res, you can zoom in on details like this 8 punched over 3, and the die crack:

243861925_d01ddab802.jpg

The 1822 didn't come out as I'd like, and my own photo is closer to it's natural appearance:

243864678_047c99c551.jpg

my shot (despite my poor lighting):

177282285_e220b81b17.jpg

The 1837 was pretty consistent with it's natural appearance and my own attempts,

although the toning seems a bit more harsh than it is in hand:

243864683_9a794b9c5a.jpg

my shot:

227692573_9c19a06f8f.jpg

227692575_41a504423b.jpg

This Virginia half penny was impossible for me to photograph because there were so many scratches on the holder. I think they did an incredible job with this piece of copper:

243864689_a35a6ecc0f.jpg

again, the ability to zoom in on details, is fantastic:

243861924_eb4982e766.jpg

and last but not least, my 1856 O, which I crossed over to PCGS:

243864690_22af25899c.jpg

and the ability to magnify (you can see the repunched 56 and the die cracks):

243882999_86733fecb6.jpg

my own photo:

187671208_0e9596ce4b.jpg

I think their photos are fantastic, though some warmth is lost, perhaps because the luster doesn't come out with depth, but they certainly did a far better job than I could.

I hope this post wasn't too lengthy and that you enjoyed it.

Mike,

I just sent in 8 coins to them and requested the TrueView pics also. Glad to know my money was hopefully well spent. What were the grades? How long from PCGS receipt till you received your grades? your pics?

Thanks,

Bob

yay.gif

TruView compared:

1398934-1832TruViewCompared.jpg

Notice that the coin is actually darker in hand than what TruView presented it as, yet, under proper lighting, all of the colors shown in the TruView image are present.

1398934-1832TruViewCompared.jpg.1c91255353ad9c5240eb89f72886f884.jpg

these are very good comparisons, and nice coins. I've always felt, for myself, that working on the photography skills was part of the hobby. It was a challenge. But there are limitations, and I'm getting older and less patient with this kind of stuff so I wanted to see what all the hupla was about. And I'm very satisfied.

by the way, I was asked ho long it all took. I used the express service for regrade, and an extra 5$ each gets you the trueview. I got the grades in 3 days, and the true views by the 4th day.

Now I sent about 6 coins in for crossover. 3 crossed. I requested trueview, but it looks like none were done. Someone on pcgs board said if you don't write out 'please make sure you trueview the coins that cross', if one of the coins doesn't cross, they don't do the trueview. Looks like that may have happened to me. I wrote them, and am waiting for a respons. It pisses me off, because it will cost me postage and insurance two ways to redo this + pay for the reholdering fee thats part of trueview. Perhaps, when I discuss this with them, they will hopefully drop the reholdering fee. Seems like the fair thing to do.

Mike

and PS, thanks for all the positive input. The high res they send you is incredible and allows for really detailed study and appreciation of the coin.

Also, Tom mentioned that you can ask them to do things a certain way for you. Seeing some of the results I got, I will email the photographer with my next shipment to ask if he can get out of the coin the things that I particularly like (like light flowing through all those locks in the bustie, to me, is really artistic.

. It pisses me off, because it will cost me postage and insurance two ways to redo this + pay for the reholdering fee thats part of trueview. Perhaps, when I discuss this with them, they will hopefully drop the reholdering fee. Seems like the fair thing to do.

Mike

Don't hold your breath- I submitted 13 coins with a request for the trueview service, got billed, but no images. After about a week of looking into it, PGCS was generous enough to offer me a refund of the $65 they had charged me, but nothing else.