• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinions on this 1872 Seated Liberty Dollar

15 posts in this topic

I bought this coin from JJ Teaparty. It's been hard finding a Seated Dollar with motto. It grades an AU53. I'm assuming at one time it was dipped and retoned (here is where I'd like some opinion). The toning covers the nicks and marks pretty well, so well, I've found it hard to photograph accurately. In fact, I've found it difficult to photograph really large coins. I don't know why, but it seems harder for me to get the surface detail as easily or as well as when I photograph smaller coins (I'm using a Nikon coolpix 4300, and I can't find the instruction manual to figure out what the possibilities are other than using close up mode).

There is cartwheel luster remaining in the protected areas, but it is much better on the reverse than the obverse.

238773784_9ffd911965.jpg

238773787_820adbf4d7.jpg

It looks like the coin is underlit. The surfaces certainly appear to be well within market norms for this terribly difficult series, but I would probably like them a tad bit darker.

It looks like the coin is underlit. The surfaces certainly appear to be well within market norms for this terribly difficult series, but I would probably like them a tad bit darker.

I agree with Tom. And it certainly seems to be the norm to have the reverse grade higher than the obverses. I don't know if the design protects the reverse or what but it is a fairly consistent constant.

I got lucky and got a nice with motto dollar early on. It is the no motto variety that I still need.

1391455-1870NoMottoSeatedLibertyDollarAU58.jpg

1391455-1870NoMottoSeatedLibertyDollarAU58.jpg.db6e4921f7526d71a9cece52db2dd9d3.jpg

Mike thats not a bad coin to own at all. If you need one for your type set, I would say buy this one. If another better one comes along you can always sell this one again and buy the better coin. I don't think you can lose on this coin. You will also fill that hard to fill hole.

i think your right about the dipping and toning but still in my opinion a very atractive coin

I would say that your dollar is quite nice for the AU53 grade and the series. The abrasions on the coin are not unsightly, nor is the wear.

thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

I'm not convinced this coin has been dipped. Indeed, it appears to me to be remarkably original. Of course, it never comes as a shock if a 135 year old coin has been dipped, but the patina seems very thick and original, judging from the images.

I agree that this is a difficult type to acquire in AU grades. There are two on my wantlist right now.

James

I appreciate all this input. I rephotographed the coin using two incandescent lights on each side. Haven't yet figured out how to manual focus (thanks for the link Spider), but it doesn't seem to look much different, except I've whitened the background (it's in an NGC holder). Perhaps if I cracked it out, washed it in some soap and water, then dipped it in jewel luster, that would get some of the dirt off.

241770569_9c5f3eb106.jpg

241770570_57e28bacfb.jpg

Mike, if your image is not matching the coin the way you think it should try again later. I think it is attractive.

Most of us have trouble getting the right colors on our images every time. I think most digital cameras can see what we can't and have a tendency to exaggerate. And some coins are more photogenic.