• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Three Washington Quarter Reverse Images Courtesy of Mike Printz (Whitlow, Ltd)

7 posts in this topic

There have been a slew of threads on the NGC and PCGS boards regarding the best way to capture a two dimensional image of a coin using digital or film photography. Additionally, there have been some threads, primarily on the PCGS boards, that discuss who might produce the highest quality or most lifelike images of coinage. My opinion on this matter is that Mike Printz (Whitlow, Ltd) generally produces images that are more true to the in-hand view of a coin than anyone else I am aware of among those who are major dealers or image producers (ANR, Legend, Pinnacle, Whitlow, Anaconda or PCGS) and whom I have been able to examine imaged coins in-hand. However, there are also several board members who produce high quality images (shylock, mgoodm3, Russ and coppercoins), but I cannot comment on the overall accuracy of their images because I have never seen a coin in-hand that they have imaged. Please understand that my areas of interest generally lie in dark, circulated coinage and toned, mint state pieces. Therefore, those who image blast white or proof coinage generally do not show up on my radar.

Recently, I asked Mike if he would do me a great favor and image some of my coins. Among them were pieces that I have been able to obtain satisfactory results on my own as well as coins where I have never been able to capture the look. Some of these coins were nineteenth century type while others were Washington quarters. It has been my good fortune over the years to be able to find a number of wonderful Washington quarters. Most of these were raw and were subsequently slabbed well before the current spike in toned coinage prices.

The three coins chosen to be shared here are all Washington quarters and all slabbed by PCGS between six and eight years ago. Only the reverse of each is shown because I believe that the eagle looks fantastic on high grade pieces while the portrait can look shallow by comparison. On my monitor, which is a Dell that is left at factory default specifications, the three coins look extremely close to how they appear in-hand and might need at most only a very slight tweak in the strength of one color in order to bring it out more clearly. So, before I babble on and on...here they are-

H1949DP67AR.jpg

H1949DP67BR.jpg

H1952SP66R.jpg

I agree that Mike Printz is top. And Russ is right next to him. I have had personal experience with coins/pics from these 2 good guys.

Also, speaking from experience:

ANACONDA, almost as good

Legend, almost as good

Pinnacle, a disappointment, way flooded

ANR, also flooded

I agree that Mike Printz is top. And Russ is right next to him. I have had personal experience with coins/pics from these 2 good guys.

Also, speaking from experience:

ANACONDA, almost as good

Legend, almost as good

Pinnacle, a disappointment, way flooded

ANR, also flooded

Russ is pretty damn good. He sold some widgets for me and the pictures were outstanding...almost made me wish I had kept them.

Tom,

Thanks for sharing the pics. They are not only top-notch, I'm sure the actual coins are as well! cloud9.gif

That middle one looks positively psychedelic.

I can't offer much in the way of commentary about who does the best pics. I'm still struggling a bit with my own. confused-smiley-013.gif

Beautiful photos, and beautiful coins, Tom. I have to agree hands down that Mike Printz is probably one of the finest coin photographers around. Maybe he could be persuaded to do a post here and/or at the pcgs board about his setup and how he goes about doing it.

Thanks for posting.