• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My wife found an odd quarter today - what is it?

17 posts in this topic

My wife, who's a teller, found an odd quarter in her box today. She bought it out and brought it home. It gave me pause too, so I thought I'd ask y'all about it. My guess is it's either a slot machine quarter or possibly a quarter struck on a blank? There isn't any raised rim and the edges are not reeded. Here are some photos.

1385035-1974.jpg

1385035-1974.jpg.e28861edd4dee8d697725b4398043413.jpg

My opinion is simply that it has been heavily circulated. It is not unusual to lose the reeded edges on heavily circulated coinage and the rim may also appear to fold over or disappear on coins with this amount of wear. It looks to me like it was minted properly and then went through the commerce heavily.

Yes, the coin is heavily worn, but the edge of the coin resembles the "railroad rim" that is pictured in the Van Allen-Mallis Morgan and Peace Dollar Encyclopedia.

There is something different about this coin. I'm just not sure that it was mint-made.

I am not sure I agree with the heavily circulated assessment. There is too much detail in the middle for that much wear on the edges. I have an extremely worn washington (1936D) that looks nothing like that. Weigh it. If the weight is close to the weight of a regular quarter, it is not heavily worn.

I am not sure I agree with the heavily circulated assessment. There is too much detail in the middle for that much wear on the edges. I have an extremely worn washington (1936D) that looks nothing like that. Weigh it. If the weight is close to the weight of a regular quarter, it is not heavily worn.

At a certain point in time the rims become the high point. Then they wear. This coin looks like it might have even been an attempt to add more wear to it.

If not for the rims then I would also say heavily worn but he uniformity of the smooth rim seems to say otherwise. Very odd but very cool.

Yes, the coin is heavily worn, but the edge of the coin resembles the "railroad rim" that is pictured in the Van Allen-Mallis Morgan and Peace Dollar Encyclopedia.

I'm unfamiliar with that concept - could you elaborate?

At a certain point in time the rims become the high point. Then they wear. This coin looks like it might have even been an attempt to add more wear to it.

Why would someone want to add wear to a '74?

This coin is noticably thinner than a regular issue.

I'm unfamiliar with that concept - could you elaborate?

Why would someone want to add wear to a '74?

This coin is noticably thinner than a regular issue.

Railroad rim or incomplete rim is where the reeding on the rims shows though. I do not see this on this coin. They could have added wear in an attempt to get in into a low number slab. Clad quarters are rare in low number slabs.

I have seen these before. A lot will say it is a "spooned" coin, but the ones like this with no raised edge and face wear are usually from being stuck in a dryer fin for some time, and then being released and found to be spent once again.

MM cool.gif

What would a quarter look like it it had been struck without a collar on the die?

It would be larger than a regular quarter and have a deformed edge.