• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Okay, so I'm a complete idiot - now what should I do?

21 posts in this topic

I just made a buy it now offer on this auction. I honestly don't know what I was thinking; I'm a little sleep-deprived.

The auction was for a "1979-P Wide Rim Susan B Anthony Dollar PCGS AU58" I sort of made an impulsive bid without really looking at the photo properly, which is completely out of character for me. It's been a long day. Looking at the photo, it doesn't say wide-rim on the slab!

I can't believe I just did that. I just sort of glossed over the auction. If it is a wide-rim, I feel like my offer is fair, but if it's not, I'm way over-bid. What should I do about this? I hate to retract a bid, but is this one of those situations where it's appropriate?

IF I win the coin and it arrives as a not-wide-rim coin, the seller says "no returns on graded coins" but wouldn't that be covered under paypal buyer protection?

I honestly don't have a clue where my brain was. Thank goodness it wasn't a very expensive coin. confused-smiley-013.gifsorry.gif

He already accepted it - took like 15 minutes frown.gif

I wonder what would happen if I filed a PayPal Buyer Protection Claim? It's supposed to cover "A physical good you purchased on eBay that is significantly different than what was described in the listing." I it came down to paying for shipping to both receive and return the coin, it wouldn't be worth it anyway.

I feel like a dolt. tonofbricks.gif

Well, I paid for it. Although it was kind of hard to reach my wallet while I was bent over with my pants down like that.

I included the following message along with my paypal payment:

Hi,

I realized after offering a bid and having my offer accepted that your auction photo and description do not match. The auction describes a PCGS wide-rim Susan B. Anthony coin, while the photo shows a regular, narrow-rim PCGS coin. I made the offer thinking I was bidding on a wide-rim coins, but I'll stick to it - as you can see by my having paid you. I am (understandably) curious whether you made a mistake in the listing or what the situation was? Which type of SBA will I be getting?

Thanks,

(my name)

Not up to my usual grammar standards, but I'm sleepy and don't especially care. With my luck, he'll neg me for it anyway. frown.gif Geeze...all I wanted was a lousy AU-58 Wide-rim SBA. Is that too much to ask for?

If I may be so bold:

c2_1.JPG

Judging from the picture,it's clearly not the wide rim. Either ask the seller to cancel the sale on the grounds that you thought you were buying a wide rim,when it was, in fact, a narrow rim. If he won't, then don't pay for it if you can handle a neg If you don't want a neg, then pay for it.

I've gotten retaliatory negatives for less than that before. I got one as a buyer on a half.com transaction - I ask you, how can a buyer mess one of those up?

Maybe he'll be a gentleman about it. He's got good feedback. I'll post if I ever hear back from him.

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I'm feeling pretty embarrassed about this one. foreheadslap.gif

Michael you are forgiven. We all make dumb mistakes purchasing coins from time to time. This was a low cost mistake as coins go. Think of the guy who actually paid to have an AU58 Anthony slabbed. He spent more than you did wink.gif

I made a 3800 dollar mistake that ended up being a money laudering scheme OUT OF THE COUNTRY. Ebay had to pay there bit too BUT still was out a chunk.

Live and Learn

EVEN if he leaves negative feedback YOU have grounds to have it removed as the description is clearly wrong.

m

I've gotten retaliatory negatives for less than that before. I got one as a buyer on a half.com transaction - I ask you, how can a buyer mess one of those up?

Maybe he'll be a gentleman about it. He's got good feedback. I'll post if I ever hear back from him.

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I'm feeling pretty embarrassed about this one. foreheadslap.gif

I made a $2,700.00 mistake and I wasn't a bit embarrassed, I was madder than you know what. As long as we learn from our mistakes we can constantly grow. It’s when we quit learning and continue to make the same mistakes that will get us in trouble.

If it were me I would pay it and forget it. Another learning curve. makepoint.gif

Having made the identical mistake in the past, I would go ahead and buy the coin. If nothing else, it could serve as an excellent grading reference tool next time you're speaking with a novice collector.

Of course, there might always be the question out there of: "Why would anyone slab this?", but as we've discussed before, there are obscure reasons as to why this might happen!

James

This morning, I checked my email and I had a response from the seller (ajones_nc). He basically said he'd submitted a bunch of wide-rims to PCGS and one came back narrow-rim. He'd accidentally listed it as wide-rim so he apologized and refunded my money plus a buck. I wish more sellers would be like him. I'm thankful this transaction worked out so well.

This morning, I checked my email and I had a response from the seller (ajones_nc). He basically said he'd submitted a bunch of wide-rims to PCGS and one came back narrow-rim. He'd accidentally listed it as wide-rim so he apologized and refunded my money plus a buck. I wish more sellers would be like him. I'm thankful this transaction worked out so well.
Thats awesome of him.... thumbsup2.gif