• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another Theodore Roosevelt Medal/Plaquette-The Great White Fleet

13 posts in this topic

Some of you may be familiar with my fondness for Theodore Roosevelt. His association with American numismatics allows an ideal blending of history and hobby for me. On December 16, 1907 a fleet of sixteen American battleships was sent on a world cruise of friendship, diplomacy and propaganda. The flagship was the USS Connecticut, which was commanded by Rear Admiral Robley D. Evans. The battleships were painted white save for gilded scrollwork on their bows. They would stop in many ports on their fourteen-month cruise, offer help after natural disasters and show American prestige and might. It was only after the cruise that this armada would garner the name of the Great White Fleet.

The Department of the Navy maintains a website devoted to the mission of the Great White Fleet. There is also another interesting site devoted to historical images and postcards of the cruise can be found at the Great White Fleet. The image below of the flagship USS Connecticut is taken from William Stewart's site devoted to the cruise, the latter of the two linked previously.

1376521-new-1.jpg

The US Mint produced a special, oddly shaped medal/plaquette for the occasion with one side designed by George Morgan, primarily of Morgan dollar fame, and the other designed by Charles Barber, primarily of Barber dime, quarter and half dollar as well as Liberty nickel fame. Roosevelt's portrait is rendered by Barber and wave-like scrollwork is evident flanking the bust at either side near the base. This scrollwork is quite similar to that seen on the later produced Panama-Pacific half dollar obverse, which was designed by Barber and that was perhaps ironically paired with a Morgan designed reverse.

The reverse side of the medal/plaquette again calls forth the later produced Panama-Pacific half dollar obverse with a representation of Columbia with cherub. Columbia is holding an open atlas of the world and in the distance there are three battleships, presumably the Great White Fleet. The eagle and crest that are flanking the inscription are eerily familiar to that used on the reverse of the Panama-Pacific half dollar and the inscription states-

HAMPTON ROADS DEC 16 1907/DEPARTURE OF UNITED STATES ATLANTIC/FLEET ON CRUISE AROUND THE WORLD

The medal/plaquette is stunning and I would dearly love, but do not expect, the US Mint to be able to produce such work of high artistic merit and technical quality today. The piece measures approximately 3.25 inches in length by 2.5 inches at its maximum height.

1376620-GWFObv.jpg

1376622-GWFRev.jpg

I don't know the number produced of this wonderful piece of American medallic art, but it is scarce enough that one rarely finds any offered at even the larger national shows such as Baltimore and FUN. Even with its exquisite artwork, low extant population, association with Theodore Roosevelt and classic American numismatics, it still costs less than a single American Silver Eagle (ASE) proof from 1993, 1994 or 1995.

1376521-new-1.jpg.e10ca1dbe2b9afdf7f27e50dcac7a032.jpg

Great medallion! thumbsup2.gif

My grandfather was in the United States Coast Guard from 1906-1909. I was reading a book on the Great White Fleet in high school. He saw it, and commented that he remembered it well. While he did not serve on it, he saw it and it brought back good memories for him.

I also am a big TR fan. He was the perfect president to inaugurate the American Century. His learning and zest for life combined to make him the most unique man ever to occupy the Oval Office. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Winston, that auction is for the same medal, though obviously not for the one that I own. I think these are cool, but I couldn't venture a guess as to the final bid price on the piece currently being offered. thumbsup2.gif

Terrific post, Tom. Wonderful medal. Your devotion to TR and the medallic art of the time is a great study in numismatics. That's the kind of depth we should all pursue.

The similarities of medals and coins from particular periods of history can be a rich reward for the investigation of numismatics in the broader sense. Throw in paper money and scrip, and the pursuit becomes unbounded.

Hoot

The medal commemorating departure of the Atlantic Fleet (aka Great White Fleet) was something of a last-minute job put together from pieces of prior work by both Barber and Morgan. The Roosevelt portrait apparently comes from Barber’s revised 1905 Inaugural medal, the figure of Columbia, cherub, etc are found on many of Morgan’s government medals such as those for the Assay Commission and some of the commemoratives attributed solely Barber, such as the PPIE half dollar and foreign coinage for Panama, Philippines, etc. (The two seemed to freely collaborate and some mint personnel claimed to be able to tell the engraving of one apart from that of the other….) Other details go back as far as the 1870s.

Have you seen anything about TR giving each of the battleship Captains a new HR $20, with each coin being in a small envelope or packet?

My grandfather in August 4, 1909 at Arundel Cove as a member of the USCG. 1378131-OscarArundelCove8-4-1909.jpg

He is the fourth standing sailor from the left (almost in the center) with the full smiling face and head tilted to the left looking at the pie eating contest.

1378131-OscarArundelCove8-4-1909.jpg.0b814c6fdbb0e7b8d4d2af569c19f3b9.jpg

That is an awesome photo! It shows the joy of youth a century ago.

Interesting how the USCG had dixie caps back then. Notice how most people shaped them to their own personalities? Couldn't get away with that in today's Navy.

TomB,

Here's a quote regarding this medal that might be of interest:

"It is very gratifying to Mr. Morgan and myself to find that our effort to commemorate an event so important in the history of our Navy has met with such general approval, and if it has helped to establish our contention, namely that the Mint service is not compelled to call for outside talent for the execution of medallic work, either coin or historical medals, then surely this medal has served a double purpose...."

PS: We have sold 237 medals and mountings [as of] this morning.

(Engraver Charles E. Barber to Director Frank A. Leach. January 21, 1909. NARA, RG-104, entry 229, box 270.)