• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Better Date Morgans

7 posts in this topic

I have heard in a few post about better date morgans. Can someone tell me what those are? Are they the rarer morgans in high grades or just something like the $1,000 morgans in good condition?

People have different opinions as to what constitutes a better date. This is not a slam, but I would suggest that you buy a copy of the Red Book and look through the Morgan dollar section. This will give you an idea about those that have the smallest original mintages, which is not always a good measure of extant pieces, and of prices relative to other Morgans throughout the grade range. Truly, it would be a very good step.

Better Date is fairly simple. Its not the most common dates. It is the dates that usally bring more than just the regular more common issues. This works for any coin series.

1894-s

1889-cc

1879-cc

1893-s better date but way overrated in my opinion

1894-p

1895-s

1895-o

proof only 1895 way overrated in my opinion

-

----------

I disagree; the list includes "key" dates as well as "better" dates. Examples of common "better" dates are 1903S, 1896S, 1888S, 1903O, 1892CC, etc. The 1894P and 1893S are keys---BUT-- that are Overrated in my opinion also. The 1895 proof is just an over - confused.gifpromoted proof--a relic from when people wanted a Philly mint 1895 with their business strike set. Obviously there are much rarer and expensive Morgan Proofs.