• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What three...or two...or even one coin(s) are you having a hard time obtaining?

37 posts in this topic

I got excited thinking of posting this question because I laid my eye yet on another 1835 Bustie and it's a NO, not a YES. How much longer will this go on?

There are others...

well, first, my other thoughts. Maybe most collectors don't want anyone to know what they are looking for because someone might come in and offer it to them at an exceedingly high price, or try to push something off on them that is a lttle less than what they had been fantasizing.

Well anyway, I'd understand if anyone doesn't want to be bothered with this post, but since I posed the question, I'll answer my own anywho...

1. The 1835 Bust half has been entirely elusive to me...there are tons of them out there but I haven't found one that I actually like.

2. I've been looking for a gem 1866 or 67 with rays shield nickel. The couple I've seen somehow slipped through my fingers...damn...

3. A really nice, really nice, super spectacular 1829 12 star half cent.

Oh...theres's a rule; if you're collecting a set, you only allowed 1 choice for your set, all other choices would have to be for a coin that is not part of the set and preferably a different domination.

Ahyway, those are my thoghts. Why is it so hard to find a good coin sometimes?

Mike

I know what you're saying. It's like trying to find a piece of old copper without all the stains and spots and horrifying nicks and cricks; looks like they are dragged around in tar, thrown into a pot of boiling oil and then tossed outside in the elements to dry. There was a 13 star '28 in red that just went for double digits and I wanted to faint *(but I did not faint) because I just spent $400 bucks on a copper with a thousand times the eye appeal of that tar spotted nukied half penny that just sold in red.

I mean, I'm not asking for much...am I/????

I like this question (and had feared we had lost you entirely to the PCGS boards) so here is my answer-

Vermont landscape colonial in choice VF or choice EF that is well struck on a smooth, complete planchet, in an original and pleasing deep chocolate color, without hits, marks, scrapes, dings, scratches, verdigris, cuts, incompleteness of design, stains or any other nefarious property.

You can tell that I have thought about this one for a while, can't you? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

1) Barber Half in MS 65 or 6

2) Type II Stander in FH 6

Have been looking for both for 3 years plus. The Barber Half in this grade must be the most ugly for the grade and overgraded series of U.S. coinage. IMO, they make Shield Nickels look attractive, and that's scary.

For my various sets, here are the coins I'm STILL missing:

1916-S Walker in VF

I have not seen an original one for sale in probably five years

1950 Frankie in white PF-64

PF-66 and up, that's available, but out of my price range. I can also find ugly mishandled proofs, but PF-64? Either they don't exist, or the ones that used to exist must have been "enhanced" to PF-66 893scratchchin-thumb.gif? 27_laughing.gif

1979 Kennedy in RAW GEM+

I refuseto pay a ridiculous premium for certification for coins like this, and have been able to find every P-mint through 1985 - except this one. Considering the mintage, you'd think that at least a few of these are laying around somewhere waiting to be cherry-picked! Nope, not out there. I've found the rest, but not this one.

1922 Die 1 or Die 3 "weak D" Lincoln in AU-55 (not the "real" 22 plain)

It is the ONLY coin that I don't have in my AU set of Wheats. They just don't exist!

1934-S Peace dollar in MS-61

Sure, AUs are all over the place, and every major auction has multiples in MS-63+ - which I can't afford. Have you ever even seen an MS-61 for sale?

1877 IHC for $200

I need the world's ugliest '77, I don't care how low the grade is or how bad the coin's chewed up so long as the date and diagnostics are visible. Can't find one. The closest I've come was $250 for one that had gear teeth carved into it.

1918-S Buffalo in AU-55-ish

This simply has to be the most underrated Buffalo date/grade combo out there. I have seen more 1926-S and 1921-S coins in AU for sale than 1918-S!

James

I've been looking for an 1835 Bust Dime in AU 58 for 3 yrs now with no success.

p.s. I like the 1835 date because Elvis was born 1-8-35.

By the way, I think the 1829 half cent on your list is the stopper for you.

you mean...by the time I find it, I'll be broke?

oh...STacks has a few Vermontensiums up for auction by the way

Stack's

I like this question (and had feared we had lost you entirely to the PCGS boards) so here is my answer-

Vermont landscape colonial in choice VF or choice EF that is well struck on a smooth, complete planchet, in an original and pleasing deep chocolate color, without hits, marks, scrapes, dings, scratches, verdigris, cuts, incompleteness of design, stains or any other nefarious property.

You can tell that I have thought about this one for a while, can't you? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Tom its rather odd you should bring this coin up. About 3 years ago I saw just the coin you were looking for. The man wanted strong money for it then, but it was a beauty. It was the first one I had seen in hand and it was killer. Nice even wear is what it had.

I've been looking for a 1906-S Philippine Peso for a couple of years now. I saw one in a old ANACS holder that was labled "CLEANED" and I passed on it. That was six months ago, havent seen another one since.

An affordable, original 1815/12 Capped Bust Half in F-VF. I've never spent more than $500 for a CBH for a set that averages EF40 but will have to for this one.

I know you guys are all talking about US coins, but my main US sets are FBL Frankies and SBAs, and those are all relatively easy to find. The real problem I am having is with my French Protectorate Morocco set, where it is almost impossible to find a nice, problem free, circulated AH 1347 (1927 AD) 5 franc coin. I've got the 1933, but I have not seen the other after looking for 4 years on Ebay. Also, Krause lists a 25 centimes with Thurnderbolt and Torch privy marks. I am convinced these do not exist.

1883-1885 3CN in business strike. The 1883 is a remote possibility one day...the others...fuggedaboutit.

1862/1 3CS in nice circulated condition.

1872 2¢ in VF+ without problems.

20¢ Philly coins without problems in Choice VF+.

Here are a few on my list:

A tissue-toned PF 64 or 65 1905 Barber half dollar.

A choice XF or AU 1857 large date large cent.

An attractive and well struck MS 64 1921 peace dollar.

A attractive and fully struck type 2 and 3 MS 64 FH standing liberty quarter.

20¢ Philly coins without problems in Choice VF+.

Well it isn't exactly VF ....

i187509.jpg

I agree that they are under-rated though. I always recommend to those seeking such a type coin to hold out for the P-mint.

James

Mike King----In the 'early' Walkers---1916--33---my last coin was a 17D Rev. One wonders why a certain date or mint might be one guys last coin while for another fellow---it will be a different date and mint. Sometimes it is just fate or the luck of the draw. For the second have of the set, I am looking for a nice 35S. It is not a particularily rare one. I would put it as a semi-rare date and mint in the years of 34--47. But, that's the one that I need. Course it must be at least an Au55 coin and be totally original. That does make it a bit tougher. But, who would ever think that a 35S would be the last coin in the whole 65 coin set?? Certainly not I. Bob [supertooth]

<1877 IHC for $200

I need the world's ugliest '77, I don't care how low the grade is or how bad the coin's chewed up so long as the date and diagnostics are visible. Can't find one. The closest I've come was $250 for one that had gear teeth carved into it.>

James:

Last year I had one of those is horrible shape. It was technically FR2 with a better reverse. It looked like it had been run over by a truck...over and over again...and then someone cleaned it...and then it had some corrosion on it. Although, it still had its shape and was not bent, just not very pretty.

I bought it out of an estate. I couldn't get rid of the coin at almost any price...I tried $150...then $125...then $100...I finally sold it for $75 to a dealer in western Colorado.

How is this one? Not Quite MS64 but....

1921.jpg

That one will do nicely. Please mail it over ASAP. 893crossfingers-thumb.gifwink.gif

I've seen you post that one before, and have always liked it. thumbsup2.gif

I've been looking for an 1835 Bust Dime in AU 58 for 3 yrs now with no success.

Really?

Shucks,I've had two,I wish I had known you were looking for one.

1921.jpg

That one will do nicely. Please mail it over ASAP. 893crossfingers-thumb.gifwink.gif

And to think its my first try at an UNC...

1921.jpg

And to think its my first try at an UNC...

I thought that coin was a regular issue, not a high relief. In that case, WOW hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif