• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Aggressive Fighting For The Right Is The Noblest Sport The World Affords

6 posts in this topic

If this thread title sounds familiar to our longterm members, it may be because I started one with the same title two years ago. Both threads are also about the same subject, though in different auctions. The title is a quote from Theodore Roosevelt that appears on a James Earle Fraser produced plaque of Roosevelt that was sold by DecArts in 1920, shortly after Roosevelt died.

The original thread from 2004 gives a bit of background on this plaque and was written when I noticed one at auction. Similarly, I received my copy of the latest Stack's public auction, for September, and prominently displayed as lot 42 is the following, with the Stack's description in quotes beneath-

1364312-ST09060042a2.jpg

Theodore Roosevelt Plaque, 1920. Bronzed Iron Foundry Cast, 32 x 25cm. By James Earle Fraser. Choice Uncirculated. A youthful, rugged bust in tweedy suit faces r. wearing Roosevelt's trademark pince-nez glasses. The bold raised-letter 'TR' quote below announces ''AGGRESSIVE FIGHTING FOR/ THE RIGHT IS THE NOBLEST/ SPORT THE WORLD AFFORDS.'' The back presents an integral wire hanger. The superb condition of this massive plaque is vastly finer than generally found today.

I absolutely adore this plaque and I own two of them. One hangs in our foyer next to the front door and another hangs in the library where we keep our computer. These plaques are also massive in terms of weight and have to be hung with supported braces. I don't know how many of these were produced, but my initial thread on the subject may have more details (I simply haven't read it again), and they come up at auction sporadically. I would expect this piece to go from $300 to $800 and believe it is a wonderful complement to a coin collection given the intimate association of both the artist and the subject to our hobby.

I hope to read that someone from the boards wins this and shares it with us. smile.gif

1364312-ST09060042a2.jpg.90b0dc7ab75f513af7b2739de56b2ace.jpg

Thanks, Tom, I may just bid on that. I really like it! It is c. 10X12 inches. Is it all bronze? How many copies are there?

It's solid bronze and has substantial heft to it. There are five "originals", which I believe are slightly larger than these, and each is in a museum collection. These are the pieces produced for the public to own at the same time that the museum "originals" were prepared. Note that I have quotes around "originals" because they were all made at the same time.

I don't know the entire production run but it could not have been that large because I make note of these whenever I find them and this is the fifth piece I have seen since 1998, of which two I have purchased.

Thanks for the info, Tom. I'll let you know in c. a month if I'm the proud new owner or not. thumbsup2.gif

p.s. Teddy Roosevelt is my favorite president. The only somewhat negative issue about him is him forming the "Progressive Party" as a third party which drew votes away from the incumbent president and got Woodrow Wilson elected. Just as Ross Perot did to Bush and got Clinton elected. But that is politics and nothing more needs to be said on the subject. 893whatthe.gif