• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2005-D (sms) vs 2005-D

5 posts in this topic

SMS means Special Mint Set, the uncirculated sets that the mint has put out starting in 2005. They have a frosty satiny finish compared to a bright shine of the regular UNC coins intended for circulation. It is unlikely that you will find an SMS coin in circulation.

Hope this helps,

Zach

What is the differance between the slab having a (sms) on it and not, for a 2005-D ms69. I have both. One with it and one without. Thank You

As far as the states quarters are concerned, the 2005-D MS69 (Business Strike) is probably worth 10-20x more than the 2005-D SMS MS69. When the Mint began using the new finish for the Uncirculated Mint Sets, they instituted new procedures for processing them. In effect, they treated them with "kid gloves" much as they would with proof coinage. As a result, many of the SMS coins are grading 68-70. I ordered two dozen of the Uncirculated Mint Sets in 2005, and I was amazed at how many of the coins were nearly perfect.

This wasn't the case in previous years. Business Strikes were also used for the Mint Sets, and you had to search many, many Mint Sets to find the higher-grade coins. Now, collectors looking for higher-grade Business Strikes are left with searching bags and rolls for them where you are less likely to find the high grades. This is made even more difficult by the fact that the Mint is also using SMS dies that are too worn for the Uncirculated Mint Sets and using them for the Business Strikes because they still have a useful production life. If you examine the coins from bags and rolls, you will note that many of them were produced from dies that were heavily abraded or polished. You'll never get an MS68-70 from them.

I've noted that some states quarters graded MS68 (Business Strike) are selling for $300-$1500 on eBay. It will probably be a long time before you will receive that kind of a return for its SMS counterpart.

Chris