• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

May I make a small suggestion?

16 posts in this topic

I - and many others, I'm sure - are sick and tired of reading the numerous argumentative threads which have popped up recently. Why not create a new forum for rants and raves under the coins section of the boards? Anyone who wants to start a big fight about blue indians, coin doctors, or the like will simply post there. Anyone who wants to participate in those 'discussions' can enter that forum to read and post there. Anyone who starts a similar thread in one of the other discussion forums will simply be subject to discipline by a moderator.

What do the rest of you think of this solution? popcorn.gifconfused-smiley-013.gifpopcorn.gif

Please...don't just view this thread, give a yes or no thumbsup2.gif

• Administrator

Well, I'm generally against this. Here's why. First, I think that if you create a place for people to fight, that's how people will use it. It will actually encourage raw feelings to be more common place. Second, I think that the controversial topics are often the most interesting as they frequently inspire the most analysis of the hobby, the urge to collect, the standards of the industry, etc.. Although the process of working through those things can sometimes be a little abrasive, the results are often worth the trouble... as long as things stay within reasonable limits.

In most threads there are usually only 1 or 2 contentious individuals. Most members are able to form cognitive thoughts and express them intelligently. The board is fine as is.

In most threads there are usually only 1 or 2 contentious individuals. Most members are able to form cognitive thoughts and express them intelligently. The board is fine as is.

ditto

I can understand the frustration. Maybe an alternative would be for board users to start rating the threads more often, and simply apply the lowest possible rating on the rant'n'rave threads? Then, you would know not to bother clicking on those if you prefer to avoid them.

I, too, enjoy the occasional alternative or even 893whatthe.gifing perspectives expressed, and it adds some diversions to the boards. But I wouldn't want NGC's boards to become nasty and bitter like certain "other" coin forums can be.

James

The way I view the problem of divisive-rant threads is similar to the way I view undesirable TV programming...If I don't want to argue about blue Indian Cents, for example, I don't click on the thread, and if I don't want to watch all the reality shows on TV, I don't tune into them! The presence of divisive threads won't stop me from talking about coins on another thread, or watching a good TV show on another station.

I don't think we need to further seperate the forum. We just need to pick and choose what we want. Of course, doing your own part to remain civil and maybe also to try and bring usefull knowledge to the table will likely be helpful in stopping the divisive atmosphere.

Well, I'm generally against this. Here's why. First, I think that if you create a place for people to fight, that's how people will use it. It will actually encourage raw feelings to be more common place. Second, I think that the controversial topics are often the most interesting as they frequently inspire the most analysis of the hobby, the urge to collect, the standards of the industry, etc.. Although the process of working through those things can sometimes be a little abrasive, the results are often worth the trouble... as long as things stay within reasonable limits.

It's a good thing Arch doesn't provide a garage for all of us to park our cars. Can you imagine a remote with 5000 buttons?

Chris

Actually, Michael, something similar to that was a total bomb. It was a forum for political discussion and, man, did things get heated, so they discontinued it.

I can only say that I joined this site cloud9.gif in particular to get as far from 'school-yard' frustrated.gif immature foreheadslap.gifand over-all non-productive Christo_pull_hair.gif discussions.

I appreciate your suggestion thumbsup2.gif , but please , let's 'allow ' the darkside ,oops I meant the otherside,nope...I meant 'across the street'-wink-wink grin.gifkeep that type of blustering street-brawling over yonder , please .