• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

well it seems another coward has stuck his or her nose into someone elses pocket

69 posts in this topic

I have to weigh in here and say that there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that whoever made the large bid and then retracted it IS A SCUMBAG.

The coin being sold is slabbed if you don't like it, don't bid.

I have to weigh in here and say that there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that whoever made the large bid and then retracted it IS A SCUMBAG.

The coin being sold is slabbed if you don't like it, don't bid.

Greg asked to let it die so I am doing as he requested,But I will say I dig your attitude. thumbsup2.gif

Isn't shill bidding when you or a friend bid on your own auction to drive the price up? Unless SE is psychic, he had no idea what the bidders max bid was, he could've just as easily become the high bidder and then ended up owning the coin. Now if SE had an agreement with Greg, that if he became the hight bidder he would just relist the auction, then I can see shill bidding.

JJ

Well, when the [embarrassing lack of self control] who bid 10000 was the high bidder, you could see the bidding history to see what the high bid was. I don't think you necessarily need to have an agreement with the seller; I stand by my previous definition of shill bidding, and I believe that Chad was acting as a shill. If he went over, I'm sure he would have retracted his top bid, the rumor is that he has a history of retracting bids.

Zach

As per Greg's request, this will be my last post to this thread. Please just let it die.

keets Master Collector Posts: 8193 Joined: Mar 2002

After the IHC thread and the links to comments made over at Sleepy Hollow by the doc, it seems that the whole issue of these brightly colored coins turns on their acceptance by the marketplace. The thought of that kind of makes me want to vomit, not your little squirt kind of vomit, but the power puke variety. With the discussion thus far, the facts in evidence seem fairly clear:

1. Coins are toned with the application of some type of chemical.

2. For the sole purpose of making a profit, these coins are then submitted to a grading service, NGC(but take your pick) which has gained the trust of the hobby and been endorsed by the ANA.

3. This grading service, NGC, has determined that the marketplace will buy these coins even though they are aware of their origin/creation.

4. Al vomits profusely.

5. Collectors/quasi dealers/wannabes morph into coin whores and sell the coins while hiding behind twisted logic to exonerate themselvse from any culpability.

6. Some condemn the whole prcocess, some condone it but the majority give silent approval for what are probably self-serving reasons.

7. The world continues to turn and the gnashing of teeth is heard as the hypocrites worry about the future of their cash cow yet do nothing so simple as raise their voice in opposition to fraud.

It seems clear to me that market acceptance is a load of [embarrassing lack of self control]. Just because some respected WXY(Z) grading service, in this case NGC, says something is OK the overwhelming majority of the hobby will probably be encouraged that what they may be considering to buy is a-OK and legitimate, dare I use the word, original. I actually think many overlook the simple fact that wading through the Numismatic minefield can be treacherous and more than a part of the hobby calms their fear by relying on the opinion of a respected grading service, NGC in this case. For some to prey on that fear under the guise of Market Acceptability is not a good thing.

My thoughts now turn to the (in)famous MartyHoard group of Jefferson Nickels and the equally suspect Peacock Hoard of Eisenhower Dollars, both groups of coins which I've always been suspicious of due to the unnatural vibrancy of the color. And the world continues to turn............................

Al H.

I don't know who "keets" is across the street, but he sounds like a babbling dufus. I didn't bother to read the rest of that thread.

Market Acceptability is a cornerstone of a free market system - you are allowed to determine for yourself what's acceptable, and you are given equal rights to resources to make that an educated determination.

Anything less than a free market system is basically communism. NO THANK YOU.

James

OK, now I did read the rest of the thread, and came across this....

michael

Choose Your Title

keets in my opinion gets thread poster of the year award

Michael, I hope you are kidding. I thought you believed in the coin collector's mindset 893scratchchin-thumb.gif....

James