• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stupid Ebay shippers!

6 posts in this topic

I just received a purchase from Ebay in which I paid $1.50 for standard shipping (only shipping offered), plus $1.30 for insurance. Yes this is a very good rate, and coupled with excellent feedback (the only negative this seller had was from some dude who did not speak English very well and did not catch that the seller did NOT accept payment from Paypal) led me to believe that my experience with this seller should be fine.

At auction end, everything was fine, just as I expected. Got the invoice from the seller, sent the payment via money order, and waited for my package. 9 days later, I get an email from the seller saying they had received my payment and would ship out the item immediately. This was the first flag....No way did payment take 9 days to reach them. I figure max of 3 days for mail, plus 1 day leeway with the seller.

After 7 more days (today), I receive my "package" in the mail. The package was just a plain white letter envelope sent through the normal mail, with a postage of 63 cents, postmarked YESTERDAY! Obviously there was no insurance. Inside the "package," the coins were affixed to a sheet of paper with just tape to hold them in place. Luckily the coins were in mint cello and were not damaged. Unfortunately, my wife opened the package and processed these. She had already left positive feedback too frown.gif.

Granted, the coins did arrive safely, and the amount of money involved was not great at all, this Ebayer should be flogged. Maybe we need a permanent sticky topic with horrid Ebay experiences with sellers (or buyers). There would have to be some rules, such as they could not be added to the list unless there WAS a problem, not just a suspected one.

Happens. Taping raw coins to paper is not an uncommon practice. I'm just happy if the coins arrive safely. Even if I paid for insurance, as long as they arrive okay I'm fine. $2.80 is cheap shipping, be happy.

About the money order: Maybe they were on vacation, or just behind in their ebay activities. Give them the benefit of the doubt.

Happens. Taping raw coins to paper is not an uncommon practice. I'm just happy if the coins arrive safely. Even if I paid for insurance, as long as they arrive okay I'm fine. $2.80 is cheap shipping, be happy.

About the money order: Maybe they were on vacation, or just behind in their ebay activities. Give them the benefit of the doubt.

Yeah, I have thought about all of that. I have no idea what was going on with the seller's personal life, that's why I am not posting the Ebay ID, at least until I contact the seller.

Yes, that is a very minute amount of money, and very good shipping prices, but I still think they were still dishonest about it, even if they had some situation arise. Think on this, if this person does this on all of their auctions, it might add up to thousands of dollars.

It might, or it may have just been an instance where he forgot to add insurance. 9 days had passed since you purchaed the coin. That's a lot of time to forget something.

You didn't mention the value of the item, which is important here. Things under say $5, I don't bother to insure, and indeed, I just stick them in a coin envelope, into a mailing envelope, and out the door. Up through about $40, I self-insure, and above that, I use USPS. Now, on stuff I self-insure, you're not going to see any evidence of insurance on.

I've never taped a coin directly to a piece of paper, but if it's in cellophane, I'm not sure there's a problem with how it was shipped 893scratchchin-thumb.gif.

Above $50, I usually mail items in bullet-proof packaging (OK, not quite bulletproof wink.gif).

James