• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anyone collect US mint issued medals?

5 posts in this topic

I was just looking around the mint's website and got to looking at the bronze medals the mint issues. Do many people collect them? Think any will be worth much in 50 years? Just curious.

I've seen some posted here before. I think Chris collects them - not 100%

sure about that. I bet they will be valuable in 50 years. Heck, even

McDonald's happy meal toys get valuable in that length of time.

Hays

Some of these medals the Mint has been making for decades and have sold them for as little as $3.50 each, so there should be limited upside and downside on those. The medals that are sought after are generally the earlier medals that were made in a different fashion and that are no longer sold due to the expense to create.

I've seen some posted here before. I think Chris collects them - not 100%

sure about that. I bet they will be valuable in 50 years. Heck, even

McDonald's happy meal toys get valuable in that length of time.

Hays

I have the Presidential Medals, the U.S. Mint Facilities and the Wildlife Series. I purchased them well before the price increases. At that time the entire Presidential series sold for about $125 ($2.25-$2.50 each). I didn't buy them with an expectation of an increase in value. I purchased them to use as an educational tool for kids interested in U.S. history. However, there have been reports that one or two of the Presidential Medals were struck in coin turn rather than medal turn , and this might add (but not much) to their value.

I also have a fairly large collection of MACO "anniversary" medals (100th - 350th) that were struck for various New England cities. Most of these are interesting for the high relief and some are duplicated in bronze, sterling, pewter, copper and gilt. Again, I don't expect them to have any substantial increase in value, but I like them for their interesting designs.

Another segment of my TAMS collection is So-Called Dollars. It isn't a very large collection, but most of my acquisitions are in grades ranging from MS64-67. Actually, I've been concentrating on many that were produced after 1963. The Hibler-Kappen book on So-Called Dollars was never updated after 1963, but it is my understanding that the SCDCC is currently working on a new compilation to include the last 40+ years. Once this is completed, I expect there will be a renewed interest (and greater demand) for SCD's.

By far, the largest part of my TAMS collection is foreign medals from France, Belgium and Switzerland. I became interested in them after Hoot commented that a lot of our U.S. coinage designs were influenced by the French. I have accumulated more than 200 foreign medals and the majority of them were purchased when there wasn't a great deal of interest in them. Now, some of the medals that I purchased for $25-$45 are selling for a 200%-400% premium. By the way, did anyone purchase the restrike of the 1894 Ben Franklin/Genius Medal that was struck by the Monnaie de Paris? I believe that Talisman Coins still has them available, and it makes a great addition for the Franklin Commems.

I'm still looking for the 1981 ANA Convention 3-medal set to complete this series. If anyone should stumble across this set, please let me know.

Chris

By far, the largest part of my TAMS collection is foreign medals from France, Belgium and Switzerland. I became interested in them after Hoot commented that a lot of our U.S. coinage designs were influenced by the French. I have accumulated more than 200 foreign medals and the majority of them were purchased when there wasn't a great deal of interest in them.

I believe it is these medals that I was thinking about - you've posted some,

and there are some real beauties if I remember correctly.

Hays