• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Capital cases

3 posts in this topic

Are capital cases any good? I think they make lovely display cases, and I am thinking about buying a few for type collections. I would bet they are better than storing coins in a Dansco album, yet much cheaper than intercepts. I would love to be able to have them all slabbed, but I do not have anywhere near the cash flow for that right now. Are they safe for long term storage? How do they compare with other storage/display methods?

Capital Plastics had at one time made a vast array of high quality, heavy duty plastic holders for coins. However, they have cut down their selections drastically and the quality of the presentations has also faltered.

They are terrific for long term storage and will not harm your coins if handled properly. Proper handling means that you should not move the orientation of your display often, such as hanging it on the wall and then carrying it flat and vice versa. The reason for this is that the coins will gently hit the plastic outer walls. Doing this once or twice is harmless, but doing this repeatedly will cause what appears to be high point wear on the coins and will lower the grades.

Capital also will custom build display cases for you, but these can cost quite a bit. In my opinion, the best buys for these are to pick up used holders.