• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Apologies to everybody!!

31 posts in this topic

I send out my sincere apoligies to anybody who took offense to my postings earlier today. Why looking back on it I should have worded it a bit differently in some parts. I did speak alot of truth.

To those who took offense, I offer my apology. I will stand by what I wrote as whats done is done.

Thanks,

Bruce Lee

Bruce, I took no offence to your post and I doubt that anyone else did except maybe the grading companies if they were to read it. And I’m sure they have heard worse.

In my opinion those who know you on these boards were likely able to read between the lines and get the gist of your message. I was.

Today is a new day and if one never takes the chance to step forward nothing is ever gained. Hang in there pal thumbsup2.gif

I certainly wasn't offended by anything that you wrote, and I posted a brief comment across the street. I simply didn't have enough time to address all the issues that you raised; and, for those who have read my periodic posts on this subject, it comes as no surprise that I believe that collectors have relinquished too much power to the TPGs. Like so many other situations, there is both good and bad in third-party grading (or, if you prefer, third-party "pricing"), and it's important that we discuss the issues so that we can all make better -- or, at least informed -- decisions.

Bruce Lee---- Do not feel that these boards need to be politically correct. Not one of us feels the same about everything that some other person thinks is correct. And, at least for me, certainly no apology is necessary.

For months now, I have been working on a 'What You Need To Know' thread about the TPGS. Various things have held me up and I have had feelings that I have tried to keep the thread from being too personal. Yet, I want the issues to be 100% truthful. It is hard to put it into a proper light---as we are not aware of all the policies of the TPG system. It is easy to go off all wound up by ones own feelings and frustrations. One of the hardest things is understanding that collectors are in various stages of their own knowledge. All of us are constantly evolving----we hope we are gaining knowledge all the while. NGC and the others are evolving too. We can only hope for the better. Tom B's post proves that NGC will listen----if a certain public pressure is brought to bear on them. I have tried to maintain the attitude that there are two sides to every story. We collectors, because we get soooo little individual response directly from the TPG, tend to get upset and agitated. It can become like a festering wound. Somehow, we need to find a way that NGC and the others can help the collectors to understand WHY and HOW they grade as they do----give better explanations for their grading methods [ Improperly Cleaned is Not Enough when they reject a coin IMHO]. But, alas, that would take too much of their time and reduce their profits.

In short, Bruce----Do not feel badly that you feel as you do. Many of your points have value. Difficult things need to see the sunlight once in awhile. To stir things up a little is not always a bad thing. Good things can result. If nothing else, it makes people THINK a little. Bob [supertooth]

Bruce, gosh it was what 3:30 am when you wrote that? You and I were

probably the only ones up - The Insomnia Brothers - and we were both a

little punchy. Still, I think anyone reading the title of that thread had a pretty

good idea of what it was going to say.

If you think you offended me - think again buddy. I knew where your

frustration was coming from - and I agree with a lot of what you were saying. I

just didn’t agree with the cause of the problem. I think it’s the fast food

mentality of our society that is the driving force behind the success of the

TPGs. They offer a prepackaged product that shows all the ingredients right

on the label - the public doesn't think about it they just gobble them up. It’s

all about instant gratification. Coin collecting isn’t the only thing affected by

this mindset. I see similar things happening in the world of art prints.

The McMorgan silver dollar is probably on the horizon… 893whatthe.gif

Hays

You must have received private messages that displayed anger or displeasure, because I didn't read anything in the responses to the thread that indicated there was a lynch mob brewing. Of course, I also note that you posted this thread on the PCGS boards, too, and that it had many responses, over 100 I believe, so perhaps you are reacting to what has been written there? Anyway, Bob put it very well and you should read it.

Bruce, that is a lot of the reason that I never post across the street. I don’t find it to be a nurturing environment. I feel like if I said anything wrong, and I’m sure that I would, I would just get beat-up for it. I feel like the folks here try to share their knowledge and experience, not just frown on the new folks (I’m speaking of myself here) or make fun of a simple spelling mistake.

I actually did “apply” to post there and I do have posting “privileges.” I have made only one post and that was just to compliment Hayden’s psychedelic Morgan.

I guess I would just say screw em’ - the ones that didn’t have anything to say about your points. It’s bad form on their part – not yours thumbsup2.gif

I just read the thread across the street… well, some of it. I couldn’t

stomach reading the whole thing - bunch of hateful spiteful people - makes

the hobby look ugly. I don’t post there. I don’t even GO there to read

posts - reactions like the ones you got are the reason.

I don’t think you owned them an apology either. I think they owe you one.

If I were you I’d stop posting there - stick with your friends here. We value

and respect your opinions even if we sometimes disagree. Beside when

someone gets uppity with another member here - everyone pounces on the aggressor! sumo.gif

Hays

JMO but, anyone who took offense to what you said is probably just looking to be a jerk. I read both threads, here and over there, and found your post to be quite thought provoking. I understand where you are coming from and agree with most of what you said. i don't see where you owe anyone an apology,

Like my Dad used to tell me:

If they ain't feedin ya, havin sex with ya, or payin your bills, who cares what they think! wink.gif

JMO though.

headbang.gifyay.gif

The original thread was great on both sides of the street.

Some need to go back and read them now that they have had time to mature a bit. Some great points were made here.

Apologies not needed. A persons honest opinion is all anyone can ask for.

smile.gif

Micheal I am pretty sure I know your feelings on the coin market today. You have been around long enough to know the problems that exist. I bet you would not mind going back to the 60's and buying a few coins.

I planned on that.. but I fear he may not be back for some time... since he brought this up... I figure I need to bring up the OP

Sorry I missed the post, Bruce. But from what I have read of your posts they are about as truthful and to the point as one can be. No doubt someone took what you said personal-that's to their detriment. I have always considered what everyone that posts here as their opinions. That is why I read and post here so often. I cannot really comment on what you said without having read it, but I believe I would be safe in saying it was true as you felt and believed it. Keep on posting and quit apologizing!