• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The coin I thought was totally original

32 posts in this topic

I know it's not very smart to ask opinions on my coin based on images alone, but adding images will be much better than my descriptions alone wink.gif

I got this coin while ago from eBay seller and it's graded by ANACS(no net graded)

I sent this coin to a dealer for crossover to PCGS and the dealer said something like "I'm afraid it won't cross. I think it's cleaned"

I'm not good at grading and don't understand why he said it's cleaned.

Please take a look at the pic and give me your honest opinion why he thought it's cleaned. By the way, he's a very honest and knowledgeable guy, but he doesn't frequent this board.

1339891-DSC00009.JPG

1339891-DSC00007.JPG

1339891-DSC00007.JPG.0fa9b484747c2dfc883ff167f84ca319.JPG

In-hand this dealer might be seeing something that we are not seeing in this set of images, however, the images you present certainly make the coin appear to be vastly superior to 95% of the DB halves that are certified.

In my opinion, and take this for what it's worth, if you had simply shown those images on the boards I don't think anyone would suggest the coin had been previously cleaned.

Did the dealer say that he thought it wouldn't cross at the same grade or it wouldn't cross at any grade?

Also, I always make a point of asking "How can you tell?" when a dealer says that a coin has been cleaned - that way I learn something.

As Tom said, the coin looks really good in your images. I suppose it's possible that the dealer is seeing some hairlines from an "old cleaning" when he rotates the coin under a light, but that's something you'll never see in an image - you have to see the coin in person.

I forgot to mention that ANACS's grade on this coin is XF40, whitch I don't think is liberal. So as long as it's problem free, I think the dealer wouldn't have said "it won't cross" I looked at this coin carefully before I sent this coin to the dealer and at least, it didn't have obvious hairlines even a novice like me would notice.

The dealer will submit this coin to PCGS at Denver this week(I wish I could fly there) and I requested him to use economy service......hope I can reprot you back the results until the end of this year wink.gif

I really like this dollar,I think it has a good chance of getting in a PCGS holder.

Hayden, if that's a dollar, then I think toyo must have bought this raw in China. wink.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I really like this dollar,I think it has a good chance of getting in a PCGS holder.

Hayden, if that's a dollar, then I think toyo must have bought this raw in China. wink.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Tom,as you have well noticed,this has not been my day foreheadslap.gif

This coin looks better than most images of this series that I've seen which have been slabbed. FWIW, the largest percentage of cleaned coins of a particular series I've seen in major TPG holders have been Bust $s. DB Halves are almost as bad.

PS: I'll probably have to wait until a market crash before I'll be able to afford either a DB Half or $ in the grades that I want.

Next time a dealer kindly informs you that your 200 year old-coin is cleaned, look him in the eye and say "DUH", gee, do you think a 200 year old coin might have gotten cleaned at some point in the past?

It's a pretty safe bet to assume that every bust half in that grade or higher has been cleaned or dipped, and yet somehow, some way, that doesn't keep them out of PCGS and NGC holders.

That coin will cross to any service, based on the images.

James

Well, I was informed the other day that this coin did cross to PCGS at the same grade.

I asked a dealer to submit 7 coins in ANACS holders and 3 crossed including this one.

I'm quite surprised at the results. Among 7 coins, 2 coins I was quite sure they would cross didn't cross and one marginal piece got upgraded by a point(no increasement in value, though), but I'm a clueless guy anyway confused-smiley-013.gif

Thanks everyone smile.gif

I'm glad both PCGS and ANACS thought it was worth slabbing.

GoldCoins-

I don't remember how much I paid for it, but I think I paid a fair price for it. You can check Heritage auction archive to see how much they are worth in EF.

As James would say,only 5% of Bust coins have not been cleaned. I really like this dollar ,I think it has a good chance of getting in a PCGS holder. thumbsup2.gif

Boy, Hayden, you are gonna get some raggin' about that one....

MM makepoint.gif

Boy, Hayden, you are gonna get some raggin' about that one....

I'm a lot less likely to remember that Hayden misspoke than to remember that he correctly assessed the coin's condition. thumbsup2.gif

Toyo, good job! Now, not to cast any aspersions necessarily, but I think it's appropriate to wonder why that dealer was trying to knock your coin originally 893scratchchin-thumb.gif.

James

James, I was the submitting dealer. While it doesn't show in the images, I believe the coin has been cleaned and I thought, to the point that it probably wouldn't cross. I am extremely pleased to have been wrong and seeing it in the new holder - it looks pretty good. smile.gif