• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you consider the most artistically important parts of Bust coinage

12 posts in this topic

I posted this question accross the street also, hopefully this one will get a larger response...

I was examining some Bust halves, one with a clasp that had a light strike, but the flowing hair was exceptionally detailed and everything else suddenly went out the window.

I was examining the reverse of a Bust half, and the leaves, branches and arrows were so exceptionally detailed that any softness due to strike elswhere became totally insignificant.

I can't figure out how to post a poll, so maybe I can do it this way:

In terms of the Obverse, which aspect can override all other aspects, if that aspect is exceptionally well struck:

The flowing hair?

The bustier part of the bust (did I word this right?)

The profile?

The cheek?

The cap?

The drapery?

The clasp?

The stars?

The date?

etc.. etc.., and WHY? if you feel like it.

In terms of the Reverse...

The eagle

The talons

The leaves

The lettering

The scroll lettering

etc. etc......

Mike , I saw your post earlier and wanted to reply but I couldn’t come up with the right words. I’m a little green on this series however I have taken an interest and have started making purchases. In response to your question I would have to say I look for a balance of all the detail with consideration of each coins perspective grade. In addition I’m beginning to understand what looks closer to original. I find myself noticing the mouth and nose, on the reverse the shield and wings. But once again it has to be the whole package together.

I think the Flowing Hair Bust series is perhaps the best design of all US coins. The entire design of both the obverse and the reverse is harmonious. Miss Liberty is a fair beauty unashamed to show her femininity. And the coins wear so very well, even in lower grades.

It is such a shame that she was replaced with such a homely visage for half of the 19th century. Were men's taste in womanly beauty so skewed in those times that they actually considered the model for the 1808 Miss Liberty beautiful? I find that hard to imagine. Luckily, collectors can still partake of the beautiful, flowing haired lass of the late 18th and the early 19th century at reasonable prices.

The way you have written the options and the question leads me to believe this is specifically for Capped Bust coinage and most specifically for Capped Bust halves. I will expand the playing field to include all silver Federal designs from the Capped Bust series and before, which include Flowing Hair, Draped Bust and Capped Bust obverses paired with various Small Eagle, Heraldic Eagle and Capped Bust reverses. Also, I will concentrate on quarters through dollars since the same design can appear markedly different on smaller coinage. If you do not believe me, simply take out some EF, eighteenth century half dimes and dimes and compare them to similarly worn dollars.

Flowing Hair Obverse: The jawline as it traverses the bottom of the jaw toward the ear. It might seem odd, but if this detail is visible then the musculature of the neck is mostly visible, and I have always found that amazing on these coins.

Flowing Hair Small Eagle Reverse: The neck feathers on the eagle, which are tiny and delicate, are amazing to examine.

Draped Bust Obverse: The hair is spectacular and I stare at it all the time. I have often wondered how we ever decided to replace this obverse.

Draped Bust Small Eagle Reverse: For those not familiar, this is a different reverse from that paired with the Flowing Hair design and my favorite portion of it is the space. The use of open space is stunning on this reverse.

Draped Bust Heraldic Eagle Reverse: The wing feathers have always captured my attention more than anything else on this design and I believe it has as much to do with the layering of them as it has to do with the poor striking that is often associated with them.

Capped Bust Obverse: Well, there are six or seven sub-types to this obverse, but they are similar enough to be grouped together here. The lower curls of the hair have always held my attention more than anything else on this, and my favorite sub-type (sub-type 1) generally has poorly defined curls.

Capped Bust Eagle Reverse: Again, there are several permutations of this reverse, but I've always been interested in the talons and tail feathers.

So, I guess this makes me a complete geek since I have already thought about this question before you asked. flamed.gif

In terms of the Obverse, which aspect can override all other aspects, if that aspect is exceptionally well struck:

Well Mike, They don't call them 'bust' coinage for nothing. wink.gif

john

I also thought that you were referring only to capped bust halves. For those, I find it easier to say that the artistic merit is that of a reference to U.S. history and the substantial history that had already occurred with our coinage, even by 1807. I find that each of the elements belongs and is strongly suggestive of the underlying symbolics. What I find disturbing is Reich's rendering of Liberty as a hefty old matron from those of previous inceptions. I think that this was purposeful to depict the strength of the nation, but unnecessarily devoid of beauty. I believe that Kneass remedied that beginning in 1834, and there had been other such attempts before Kneass, just without the evident grace that is found late in the series.

Interesting question, and one worthy of long contemplation.

Hoot

What I find disturbing is Reich's rendering of Liberty as a hefty old matron from those of previous inceptions. I think that this was purposeful to depict the strength of the nation, but unnecessarily devoid of beauty. I believe that Kneass remedied that beginning in 1834, and there had been other such attempts before Kneass, just without the evident grace that is found late in the series.

Very well put. Hoot: the shiznit of diction! acclaim.gif

Great question worthy of deep contemplation. I'm addressing my thoughts to the Capped Bust Halves. I like the overall appearance, esepcially when it has an original patina and toning. I fell in love with this series the first time I saw an original example in EF. Lots of history and handmade. A great heritage coin that will celebrate its 200th birthday next year. I'm hooked.