• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How about some AT coins that don't look AT!!!

50 posts in this topic

And here I thought it was bold of me to post a holdered coin in an AT thread. Sorry - still learning.

Don't be sorry... not at all I like the look of your coin as well...

So, I was looking carefully at my large cents (which I often do, even though I have but a few) and I noticed that my 1839 petite head cent was changing color. (I wrote a thread about this coin in the Tangents One reason to hate slabs... a while back.) Color change under the conditions I keep my coins is always a good reason for me to look carefully at the piece. What I noticed was that a blueish cast was coming from around each of the devices and that the rich brown color was changing to a grayish tan. Gulp.

So, not being afraid of conservation, I dipped the coin in acetone to remove all oily surface "stuff" to get a better look at what was below. The colors better revealed themselves, and lo! and behold so did the expert whiz-job. Now, if you've ever been under the delusion that whizzing is so easy to spot that it could never get past the experts, you're wrong. This coin was purchased in an NGC holder early this year. Indeed, this was one of the best whiz-jobs I've ever laid eyes on, and it took some close inspection for the whizzing to reveal itself. What gave it away were three things: (1) The blue around the devices was a gun blueing (I'm guessing) which was used to cover up the contrast of devices with fields; (2) the edges of devices, particularly Liberty's lower neck, were sharp, as if corniced; (3) the coin lacked a full cartwheel luster, although clearly an AU coin.

Alas, I was not upset, rather I was somewhat delighted, at least fascinated. So, I removed all color from the coin in order to get the blueing off the surface, then looked carefully at the surfaces to detect the marks left behind from the whizzing. The marks were only barely detectable with a 10X loupe. This was a remarkable whiz-job, positively expertly executed. Indeed, this coin looked natural enough to get through NGC. This should surprise nobody.

Tkae a close look at the pictures provided in the link above. If you can detect all ofthe work done on that coin from those photos (which are pretty accurate to the condition of the coin at the time), then you're a better numismatist than I.

I fear posting photos of this coin as I put it through a process of restoration (although the whizzing can never be reversed), for fear of retribution. 893whatthe.gif BTW, the whizzing may not be reversible, but the impairment can be removed by carrying the coin about as pocket change for a year or so. I won't be doing that with this coin - too valuable to me as is.

Hoot

WW - Your Franklin looks AT, but it's also rather pretty! SEGS has holdered many an AT coin. One that really stands out in my mind was a 3-legged buff that was nothing short of psychedelic.

Hoot,

If you want to talk about pretty, you should have seen the Iowa commem I saw in a SEGS holder one time a few years ago at a coin show. It was graded MS-68 and had absolutely gorgeous toning, but as nice as the toning was there was no way I believed it was NT. Grade wise it was a lock 67, maybe, maybe a 68.

I don’t remember exactly how much the dealer was asking for it, but I do remember that I thought he was nuts.

John

100% authentic toning!!!! There is not one shred of doubt in my mind that that coin, if imaged properly, is the result of decades of sitting in a US Mint bag. That is absolutely NT!!!!

I apologize if my post read as if it were a scolding, that wasn't my intent at all. I just wanted to get across the point that the coin is a stunner will a well-known toning source. smile.gif

blush.gif okay okay I'm embarrassed blush.gif I admit my mistake. I just hadn't seen that pattern blush.gif I'm sure you guys are right

Don’t be embarrassed Winston, this is how you learn. Regardless of where

you are in experience and knowledge, everyone is still learning.

Hays

P.S. I hope you own that coin gossip.gif

Ok, what do you think about this one from the same ebay seller?

World Finest Rainbow Toned Peace

1342512-1923.jpg

A little voice in my head always screams “Stay away from rainbows on

Peace dollars!!” Anytime I have the slightest doubt I won’t buy it - that said,

I wouldn’t buy this coin.

I studied that video on AT vs. NT. It claimed that NT coins will show the

colors from the toning source yellow, magenta, cyan. If the toning source

was right at her cheekbone it would move outward in that same order. It

does quite nicely. My guess is it’s NT - probably toned in an envelope - the

colors would be in reverse order if it toned in an album.

Hays

Wooohooo, we're not talking about my coin anymore laugh.gif I don't want to be embarrassed twice in one day, but I will say that I have never seen a Peace dollar with toning similar to that.

I don't like that coin, but I wonder what it actually looks like with a more realistic image? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

No doubt the saturation has been cranked up - common practice on ebay. I bet

in hand the coloring would be very slight and the coin would be much lighter -

just a guess. I still wouldn't buy it.

Hays

((( Ok, what do you think about this one from the same ebay seller? World Finest Rainbow Toned Peace )))

I think I'll have to wipe the drool off my desk is what I think! Another SPECTACULAR naturally-toned coin.

James

((( Ok, what do you think about this one from the same ebay seller? World Finest Rainbow Toned Peace )))

I think I'll have to wipe the drool off my desk is what I think! Another SPECTACULAR naturally-toned coin.

James

I also like that one alot. You just don't see concentric rainbow toning on Peace dollars. Even if it's AT, it is still a pleasant-looking coin.

I also like that one alot. You just don't see concentric rainbow toning on Peace dollars. Even if it's AT, it is still a pleasant-looking coin.

I'd agree whole-heartedly. I'd also love to see the coin in-hand. The photo may be a bit vibrant, but I'd imagine it's one sweet looking piece! cloud9.gif

Hoot