• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading Test! Come all and Try!

9 posts in this topic

Here we have 2 key date Lincoln cents. Lincoln cents are one of the most widely collected series in all of coins. I felt it a nice test for us all. Good Luck to all. Pardon the old images.

1909svdbcentset.jpg

1914DCentSet.jpg

That 1914-D is absolutely incredible, Bruce! thumbsup2.gif

Thanks! I think the color on it is great and it works perfectly for a Dansco Album set. I got this coin at a smoking deal when I bought it a few years back. The price has doubled since then. I traded a ton of silver for it.

I’d call this 1909-S VDB a VF30, and the 14-D an EF40/45. The 1909 has some nicks and I think the 1914-D has nice even wear with no real nicks or scratches it still has to much wear to be an AU grade. I like the reverse of both coins; the wheat ears are nice and crisp still, but the 14-D has the better eye appeal due to its color and smooth nick free surfaces. 893applaud-thumb.gif

These coins do send me back to my earliest coin collecting days as a kid and how I would have loved to plug either of those coins in the old blue Whitman album. cloud9.gif

But actually even a 1909-S was out of the question in those days. tongue.gif

Also Bruce I always like hearing when a coin was had by a smoken deal or that you've scored large. That seems to be the icing on the cake that makes those coins a little more special in the collection and you seem to like them a bit more, thats how I feel any ways when looking though my stuff and thinking about how I came to own each coin. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

1909-S Obv net VF30 but improperly cleaned. Rev -EF40

1914-S EF40

Now to look at other's grades and get embarrased...

The 1909 S VDB is a Solid VF 30 coin and on a good day its a VF 35. It has that woodgrain look you see on many of the 1909 S VDB cents. This coin is not cleaned and is all original. Nice coin for a Dansco Album!

The 1914 D is Choice EF 45! This coin has it all if you ask me. The Color is great, no hits really to speak of, and the wear is just plain and even. This is the coin many people look for for there type set or Lincoln set. This coin was a great value when I bought the coin. It was marked VF++, but it is a clear EF 45 coin.

Sorry it took so long to respond. I forgot to repsond. These are coins I would buy over and over and over if I could find them. Great coins in great grades if you ask me.