• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Textile Toning?

14 posts in this topic

I have never really understood the toning on the coin. It has all the markings of textile toning, but where are the hatching marks from the bag? We can also asume the coin was sitting on another coin in the bag it was in. Maybe someobody can shed more light into the type of bag it came in contact with.

1963.jpg

Maybe it layed in a drawer on a blue tube sock, and then the other parts of the coin just layed on the cheap wood the drawers were made of.

Bruce,

I've not seen a Franklin half with bag or textile toning. The light gold is just the furthest area from the source of the toning. My best guess as to the source of the toning here is album toning. My guess is that one side of the coin was pushed deeper into the album than the other.

Perhaps it was in a tube sock while someone was wearing it? That way, only one side would be against the fabric. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Bruce, is that a little of the "tube sock" pattern just above the date on the obverse?

Looking at the coin in hand the answer is No it is not.

All sock-kidding aside, I have seen coins tone eerily similar to this after they have spent years in cheap, cardboard displays. I once bought a one-a-year set of silver Roosevelt dimes in an ebay auction. They were in a cardboard holder that was in a plastic frame and the cardboard holder was glued to another piece of cardboard behind it. The reverses of some of the dimes had vertical stripes that matched the cardboard backing. Many of the coins also had aqua, teal, blue and auburn coloration from the packaging, even on both sides.

There is no way to tell if this coin was exposed to the same type of environment, but I have seen a similar effect.

All sock-kidding aside, I have seen coins tone eerily similar to this after they have spent years in cheap, cardboard displays. I once bought a one-a-year set of silver Roosevelt dimes in an ebay auction. They were in a cardboard holder that was in a plastic frame and the cardboard holder was glued to another piece of cardboard behind it. The reverses of some of the dimes had vertical stripes that matched the cardboard backing. Many of the coins also had aqua, teal, blue and auburn coloration from the packaging, even on both sides.

There is no way to tell if this coin was exposed to the same type of environment, but I have seen a similar effect.

You bring up a very valid point. I think this could very well explain it. Thanks!