• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Breaking News!!!! Clorox Bleach reveals hidden color on silver coins.

12 posts in this topic

Well, it seems some folks want to experiment on coins now. Some are getting bad results using totally different coins, coin grades, conditions, etc. If you are experimenting to get a SPECIFIC look, you will probably fail. If you want to do experimentation in a hurry, you will probably fail. If you want to make everything blue, you will fail. Experiments are for education, not to get a specific result.

TRUTH

Does this mean the hidden color of my blue shirt I accidently washed last weekend in Colrox is WHITE? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

jom

Does this mean the hidden color of my blue shirt I accidently washed last weekend in Colrox is WHITE? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

jom

Was it the liquid or the dry??

jom

Maul - who ever heard of a liquid shirt? confused-smiley-013.gif

tongue.gif Hays

jom

Maul - who ever heard of a liquid shirt? confused-smiley-013.gif

tongue.gif Hays

He was meaning the clorox...

Hey, if everyone's so intent on destroying their low-grade coins by dumping chems on them, just send them to me instead. You can just pretend that they came out junky and I'll put them in a nice safe place for the next 40 years.

Well, it seems some folks want to experiment on coins now. Some are getting bad results using totally different coins, coin grades, conditions, etc. If you are experimenting to get a SPECIFIC look, you will probably fail. If you want to do experimentation in a hurry, you will probably fail. If you want to make everything blue, you will fail. Experiments are for education, not to get a specific result.

TRUTH

893scratchchin-thumb.gif I’m not sure I believe this to be an absolute.

Truth, I do agree that rushing an experiment will usually produce lackluster

results - if any.

However trying to get a specific result is actually the point of many experiments.

Take Tomas Eddison for instance - he was specifically trying to create a light bulb

when he did some of his most famous work. He experimented with thousands

of different materials all the while looking for the one that would produce

incandescence. It wasn’t a random occurrence, he was specifically looking for

this result.

This is true for many experiments. Scientists rarely throw random elements

together just to observe what happens. They usually have a good idea what they

are looking for before they ever reach the experimental stage.

One very important question that MUST be answered when doing any experiment

is: Can the results be duplicated? In other words, if another scientist replicates

the experiment exactly, will they get the same results?

If the goal is to produce artificially toned blue coins, and all the variables have

been worked out, similar results should be produced on a consistent

basis.

Personally, I’d rather not see this happen amongst laypeople. Smarter men than

us (with the exception of Tom) will be addressing this issue I’m sure. The result

of experimentation by the masses will in the end just destroy a lot of coins.

Hays

While I agree with most of your assertions, a controlled experiment is much different that someone "playing" with chemicals hoping to get a blue coin. My experimentation was by no means a method of precisely determining a method of changing a coins appearance to achieve a certain color, but merely an attempt to uncover a cause/effect. The cause was MS70 placed on the surface of a particular coin, the effect was the resulting colors achieved. Nothing was precise, no measurements of volume of MS70, no measurements of time elapsed, just simple results and observations, which I know for fact have been reproduced by others obtaining similar results. My observations have given me enough data(observations) to know exactly what to look for when buying colored copper coins. The end result was specific knowledge of what an enhanced copper/bronze coin will look like..

TRUTH