• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1835 Half Cent

16 posts in this topic

I recently purchased this half cent off of a bid board, and was toying with the idea of submitting to PCGS or NGC. Opinions welcomed! Thanks for your time. Looks like a die variety C-2 Classic Head Half Cent, State 3.0. This is just a super-neat variety with a huge bisecting reverse die crack, clash marks galore, and heavily repunched letters in "HALF CENT." Clash marks are easily visible to the unaided eye on both sides. This is a die state 3.0 example of Cohen-2. What about below the bust; is that a date or numeral punched in? Thanks again. Bob

1315805-Coin49917(2).jpg.9670d0c5531819e43cf528aec7076153.jpg

That's a cool coin. I hope you got a bargain. Like the others, I think the coin was cleaned long ago and has retoned. I doubt that it would slab. But even if it would, I don't think it would be worth the fees. Some coins are better left raw. Common date half cents below MS are probably not worth the cost.

Here's a similar coin that I picked up a few weeks ago in an NGC MS62 slab.

1315869-1835rev.jpg

1315869-1835rev.jpg.aae2bf738fc7b4aa0f244e4cd7f1b3e4.jpg

I agree with Hayden. Cleaned, and then had time to retone.
Even Cleaned it has some wonderful character.

A nice clash, Some Die cracks and the lettering has some nice doubling.

I like the coin. thumbsup2.gif

I would not submit this coin for certification, because it will likely get a body-bag for being mildly cleaned. It looks like a strong candidate for a long-term (3-6 months) in olive-oil, and possibly that will bring back some more original looking color - IF you even care. Personally, the mildness of the cleaning isn't real bothersome to me.

Of more importance is the wonderful interest, as you mention, of the network of die-cracks forming on the reverse. This coin needs no slab to instill a sense of wonder in the beholder. I think you need to put it in one of your own holders, and feel proud about owning a coin you can actually look at and touch at your leisure. A slab gives no additional value to a delightful coin like this!

James

I like the coin a lot, obverse and reverse. Thanks for sharing!

((( James: have you ever considered using a little garlic too? )))

Mike, I haven't heard of that before! Are you serious, or are you trying to make salad dressing 27_laughing.gif? But seriously, does adding garlic to the olive oil help in some way 893scratchchin-thumb.gif?

James

While I think the coin may have been lightly cleaned in the past, I don't see anything too harsh, and after a while may retone and look quite nice....Mike