• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It's always nice on Ebay....

48 posts in this topic

...when it comes to selling, feedback can be essential,but in buying it really isn't. I think that arguing over at what point a seller leaves feedback is simply a waste of time,it doesn't make any difference at all to when you receive your purchase!

Excellent point.

On a side note,for my own auctions I leave feedback right after payment is left. While I believe that a seller has every right to leave feedback when he chooses,I've found that leaving feedback right after payment makes the buyer trust you more. It puts the buyer in a more friendly state of mind,and if they were disatisfied with the product I'm certain they would be much more coopertive and easy going.

Another excellent point.

I'm glad you didn't shut-up thumbsup2.gif

Hays

I do hope that if I ever run into a bad apple down the road,my feedback will consist of so many happy customers that it would be like shooting a pellet gun at a tank.

Well played. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Beijim

How's this for a half dollar bought on ebay. Here's the pictures posted on the auction listing:

HalfObvListingPicture.jpg

HalfRevListingPicture.jpg

and here is what was received:

HalfObvReceived.jpg

HalfRevReceived.jpg

The coin is so different I am almost wondering if he will try to claim I switched it! With over 1400 postiive feedback and good comments on his grading I thiought this was a safe buy. I'll probably get a refund O.K. but this sure was a surprise!

- Bruce

quasarcomics

There's nothing comparable at all to the coin that was pictured and the one you received. 893whatthe.gif The lighting on the pictured coin was angled to highlight the luster. The one you got has none from the scan. To say that you are disappointed is an understatement! sumo.gif

Yes, I just scanned the coin. I could have made it look "better" using the right light and so on but, as you all noted, it is still obviously not the same coin as can be seen with the massive difference in toning. Not to mention that the one I received was clearly cleaned and, in my more strict than some opinion, would barely have made AU before its surfaces were impaired with the cleaning.

I will post the auction link and/or seller name, please wait until he has a chance to process a refund. I would prefer not to jeopardize my refund. I just sent it back today first class, insured, delivery confirmation, so it should be processed by next week sometime.

For the record, I bought some other items from him (two XF Lincolns, a MS62 Merc and and a MS 63 FSB Merc) all raw. I kept the two Lincolns and the MS 63 Merc, all accurately graded and looked like his pics. I returned the MS 62 Merc (which at least was for sure the same coin pictured) because the pic did not show the very subtle and very "well done" cleaning the coin had received from someone at some time, it looked original in the scan.

I've been collecting since 1971 and know pretty well what is original, what's not, what is wear and what's a weak strike, etc. It is disappointing the state of grading today and I include the major grading services in that statement based on some of the stuff I've seen in their slabs.

As a seller, IMO, the transaction is NOT complete once the buyer pays. Leave it or don't leave it, I don't care but I look at it as an acknowledgement of the buyer being happy. No acknowlegement from you, then none from me.I leave it as soon as I'm happy with the item as a buyer. If it has been left already, great. If not, fine also... I have received the cold shoulder many times after leaving a seller + fb, that's fine too..JMO

For the record, as a buyer 95% of the time on eBay, I wait and leave feedback until the item arrives safely, and I get time to thoroughly inspect it. If the item took too long to get here, usually neutral, if the seller left something out, neutral or negative, but if the item wasn't as described, or it arrived damaged, return immediately.

For the record, the auction number is: 8406518918

The seller was prompt on the refund. While it seems likely what happened, I tend to be optimistic and, as such, will give this seller the benefit of the doubt. That means that I think that well, perhaps he mistakenly packed the wrong coin.

Heck, I have shipped the wrong item to a buyer before. I did catch my mistake after the fact and notified the buyer of my mistake before the buyer received the item though. Plus, I always pay both sides of the shipping costs in any refund I give.

That's good news about the refund, and if the seller was cordial in the deal then I would think of doing business with them again.

It is like this in the Comic Book world too. The Buyers expect the seller to leave the first feedback upon payment, under the rationale that the Buyer did his/her job by paying for the item.

However, the transaction is not over UNTIL the Buyer is satisfied. The BUYER is holding the SELLER hostage; if the Seller has already posted feedback first, then the BUYER can pull stunts like:

1) ask for refund - no reason needed and usually there is none;

2) "switch" the comic - send back a lower graded copy and get a refund( has happened more than one can realize);

3) slam the SELLER with a neg - after all, s/he IS competition and let's face it - the eBay world is only going to get tougher as more SELLERS fall by the way-side regarding the increase in Stores' Fees.

It is best if the BUYER posts feedback first- that way the SELLER and eBay know that the transaction has been completed - then the SELLER needs to reciprocate the positive feedback. Everyone is happy.

CAL

The seller has a right to protect himself from the nut cases. If you have a return priveledge and return the coin and get your refund then what is your problem?

Many people are unreasonable and post unfavorable feedback for no credible reason. I had a guy give me a neutral on the box being too big for the item even thought it was securely packaged for crying out loud - I negged him. Another guy returned a coin from me when he found one for less and had the gall to falsely accuse me of not refunding promptly, then negged me - I negged him.

After YEARS of learning that MOST buyers are lazy and will not take the time to Leave feedback for a seller, I wait for it BEFORE I leave mine. I dont call it hostage I call it fair trade. I Swear my feedback would be 200 instead of 1200 if I did not do feedback in this manner.

my 2c

I totally agree, I have purchased to much from ebay all coins naturally.

On one transaction I did not get the coins I was to get. After emailing the seller several times and receiving no answer I told them 1st I would have no choice but to leave them a negative feedback.

Well I did so and then naturally they left a very negative and untrue feed back about me in retaliation.

So I totally agree ebay feed back is blackmail and does the opposite it was intended for.

I did use the option to explain the negative feedback but they let you only about 250 characters to do so.

I always pay for auctions I win in less than 24 hours. Usually within minutes of auction ending. I have had this same gripe however I also understand that buyers may sometimes abuse feedback for simple reasons that might be resolved with very little effort. I always reveiw a sellers feedback and especially any negative feedback, Then I reveiw the feedback of the person who left the negative feedback and it's not at all unusual to find that that individual has way more negative feedback himself. I try and always work with sellers if I have a problem and resolve issues before leaving feedback. A wrong deed made right by a good attitude and proper action says volumes about the character of the folks involved.