• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

question about wooden holders for ngc and pcgs coins

11 posts in this topic

I've seen the wooden boxes pcgs sells for their slabs and they don't look bad, but what's available in wood, for ngc slabs? Does anyone have any experience with this?

I think NGC does a mahogany-type box for their slabs... Individual slabs, as well as multiple slabs. They used them on Coin Vault for the MS70 SAE set, as well as the SS Republic coins. Dunno whether NGC sells them directly, but you could try eBay, or some online coin supply seller. www.JPsCorner.com might have them.

The next time you go onto the PCGS website click on PCGS Products. The have a nice cherrywood box. When the subject of their boxes...actually anybody's wood stained holders or boxes...came up across the street last year, there was a debate if coins would become damaged if placed in them.

I've seen wooden boxes with NGC coins in them, but can't find them anywhere. Don't know if you can buy them from NGC or not. I can't find anything on their homepage about them.

Jerry

There is a member who posts regularly at PCGS, and sporadically at NGC, who makes various sized boxes and other display material for both PCGS and NGC coins and he goes by the name of solid.

I don't have any experience here, but generally speaking, coins and wood don't mix too well. If a slab gives total protection, that it might be fine, but personally, I'd be wary of storing coins in a wooden environment if I were concerned about the possiblity of environmental effects on the coins.

There was a lot of talk a while back about the environmental effects of these. Test were being done and I lost track of it after that. I worry too about any type of finish used on wood being around coins.

It just seems to me that if you take a wood box, add finish (or not), add a plastic slab (that we know is not air tight), you have all kinds of gases floating around in there. I'll be curious to know what the effects will be long term. smile.gif

There is a member who posts regularly at PCGS, and sporadically at NGC, who makes various sized boxes and other display material for both PCGS and NGC coins and he goes by the name of solid.

Tom is correct and he makes some great display cases. here is a link....

http://www.solid-craft.com/

thanks for the links! Someone accross the street referred me to this link:

uh oh

I freaked, went on ebay, and got a couple of plastic ngc holders (pcgs fits in there quite well). juggle.gif

thanks for the link. It looks like a little coffin. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

but I went ahead with the plastic ngc holders. Can stack them up in my safe deposit box. I love wood, love black forest clocks, just got a great oak custom made cane (which I sometimes have to use), but I'll go with plastic re the coins. Gosh I'd like to take all those coins out of their holders and put them in one of those felt lined wooden boxes with all those trays and little slots in them though.