• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Early type coins!

13 posts in this topic

Is it me or are about 75% of the early bust type coins just butt ugly for lack of a better word. Either they are super damaged or recently dipped, or dipped and retoned funky. Looking at early dollars on Ebay made me a bit sick. I found all about 3 coins out of say 140 I liked in any grade. The others just looked so blah. Maybe I am a bit bias as far as coins go, but I would much rather have mine with a hole in it then 75% of the ones I saw.

1798.jpg

I went to look at a few dealers sites and got alot of the same feelings. Maybe I am just a bit picky, or it could be the fact I don't like [embarrassing lack of self control] coins, no matter how old they are. Thats not to say I would not buy them if the price was right, but as a general rule, no.

Well, part of that's just eBay. I feel the same way about SBA dollars on eBay. 97% are junk.

Sorry Pendragon, but 100% of SBAs are junk. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

wink.gif

Zach

I went to look at a few dealers sites and got alot of the same feelings. Maybe I am just a bit picky, or it could be the fact I don't like [embarrassing lack of self control] coins, no matter how old they are. Thats not to say I would not buy them if the price was right, but as a general rule, no.

For the second time today Bruce, I'll drink to that! drunk.gif

(And yes...It's Pepsi. 27_laughing.gifwink.gif )

I looked through a lot of coins before I bought the seated dime from James a few days ago. It was difficult to find a coin that old that was not recently dipped or cleaned.

Zach

For the second time today Bruce, I'll drink to that! drunk.gif

(And yes...It's Pepsi. 27_laughing.gifwink.gif )

I looked through a lot of coins before I bought the seated dime from James a few days ago. It was difficult to find a coin that old that was not recently dipped or cleaned.

Zach

They are getting harder and harder to find since people like TomB are hoarding all them. OK, not really, but collectors in general are buying them up and fewer are being seen on the market.

They are getting harder and harder to find since people like TomB are hoarding all them. OK, not really, but collectors in general are buying them up and fewer are being seen on the market.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'll take that as a compliment! thumbsup2.gif By the way, I think more than 75% of the early type is comprised of coins that I would not want to have cash tied up into.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'll take that as a compliment! thumbsup2.gif By the way, I think more than 75% of the early type is comprised of coins that I would not want to have cash tied up into.

I used 75% as a lowe number... Like I said I only saw maybe 5 coins in that whole bunch of say 140 that I would want to own. For me color is a big thing on Early American coins, and I am not talking about wild toning.

I understand completely, the skin on a coin is a huge part of eye appeal, in my opinion, and I have even passed up higher graded coins just to get the better color.

Sorry guys--that's just the way it is with these very old coins. They've been around so long virtually 99% have been abused and cleaned and redipped so many times they just look like flat pieces of corroded lead. I recently went through all the lots at an ANR auction---of the dozens of early dollars--I saw three that weren't just plain ugly and lifeless. And that's ANR, not Ebay. --

---

BTW that old bustie at the beginning is a very attractive coin--and the hole is probably very old, shown by the non-symetrical hole & wear from being suspended.

Morgannut,

I know the feeling! I was just venting a bit today about what I already know. The colors on some of the coins are just BLAH, BLAH, BLAH! Is Blah a color? If not it should be. Haha. I own the coin up top and traded silver for it in the last spike. For some reason the hole does not bother me that much. We joked about it being the first O mint mark. I think for some silver I did really well. The color is what did it for me. Color is a must on bust coins for me, unless they are stupid cheap. If it was up to me I would love to collect more early bust coins, but funds tell me otherwise. As some point in time I do plan to get the hole fixed, well plugged. When that time comes I will be sure to get a pro to do it and not just any jeweler. At either rate I am going to be patient and wait for better coins.