• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC Bags!

8 posts in this topic

I recently sent off my 1921 Peace Dollar as many of you know. They also body bagged it for an obverse scratch. Well it came back to me in a poly bag and a flip. The poly bag was inside the flip. I figured it was shipped back to me that way, it would be ok for some time until I decided what do with the coin. Well bring it up just over a month and I decide I am going to photo the coin again. So I go to pull the coin out and instantly I get this feel of like a dust all over the edges. tilt the coin a bit to get the right angle of light on it and low and behold it looks like some sorta film has developed on it. Now the qiestion becomes how to get this off without damaging the coin. It does have a bit of toning on it, so that makes it a bit harder if you ask me. Any help would be appreciated. I am not sure if the bag was the cause, but it was not on the coin when I sent it off. I did take out the coin for a second when I got to back to look at it, but then put it back in the bag for the time being.

1921.jpg

Polyethylene bags are not good for long-term storage. Indeed, a few years back, either NGC or PCGS (I can't recall which) suggested that people not place their coins in poly bags if submitted for lengthy services (economy and/or modern) since there was some noticeable hazing of the coins. So, it's not just NGC's poly bags, it's any.

Dip the coin in acetone or xylol. Rinse with distilled water. Pat dry carefully with a clean cotton cloth, then air dry.

Hoot

Thanks for the suggestions. I will give it a try and see how it goes. Hopefully all the color will not be lost. I will try to retain the color.

Why is distilled water recomended? I'm just curious as to how normal tap water would affect the coin compared to distilled.

Thanks...

I'm gonna go out on a limb here Hayden and say distilled water is just H2O and tap water has mineral deposits, chlorine, etc. - all of which is left behind after the water evaporates.

Hays

Why is distilled water recomended? I'm just curious as to how normal tap water would affect the coin compared to distilled.

Thanks...

I'm gonna go out on a limb here Hayden and say distilled water is just H2O and tap water has mineral deposits, chlorine, etc. - all of which is left behind after the water evaporates.

Hays

I see what you mean Hays,that's probably what it is....thanks thumbsup2.gif

This is correct. Not only might such deposits be left behind, but chemicals such as chlorine may react with (and alter) the coin's surface.

Beijim