• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2006 American Buffalo Gold Proof

76 posts in this topic

Can anyone confirm what the 'F' mark stands for?

The F is for the orginal Designer of the First Buffalo Nickel design back in 1913.

WELL I am still anticipating these will be sold out in time and the value will increase. I am not sorry that I purchased five right away. I did sell one on ebay for a profit already and it sold right away.

I still an also toying with the idea of purchasing a few more?? (Any thoughts)

If I am not mistaken usually the first issue of a new coin has done good for the most part. This coin has quite a few 1st in it's favor and I still think that the value will increase quite a bit in a short period of time, just my two cents.

With the price of gold sitting at $660 dollars (US) per ounce.

The premium is $140 and seems to be getting smaller all the time..

Consider the cost of making the coin etc... and you have real value.

I saw the bullion type being sold on shopnbc.com where they were selling

the coin in a bezel with a chain for a necklace $1599.00!!!! Surely the proof looks

better so If I had $4,000,000 I would buy my limit of coins and live off my profits of selling necklaces for years to come.

Figure a $400.00 profit for every coin sold * 5000 coins equals $2,000,000.

But since I can't afford the 8 coinsI already bought.......

some financial people think the US dollar will drop in value.

Holding gold instead of US currency is what you want to do if the dollar falls.

Look for someone with deep pockets to buy the rest of these coins. 300,000 minus what they sold already.

Maybe that's why they (US Mint) set up the sale the way they did..

Give the little guy the chance to own. yay.gif

anyway.

not everybody shares my view..

But all agree..

It's a beautiful coin....

Hello Everyone,

I just joined today.

Although I wish I had found this site years ago.

Ok,....... I have been collecting coins since I found my first 1943 Lincoln steel penny, some 40 years ago.

I woke up the other morning and was watching Robert and one of his side kicks on the Coin Vault Show featured on Shop at home. They were selling out of the American Bufallo, and they were going like hot cakes '"so they said".

I have allways wanted a gold coin and I called the Number on the screen and purchased one not knowing anything about them, heck I did not even know such a thing existed.

So for everyones benefit and possibly showing my ignorant stupidity or just a desire to own GOLD, I purchased an MS-70 GRADE FIRST STRIKE BULLION COIN FOR $1200+ SHIPPING AND INSURANCE FOR A GRAND TOTAL OF $1224.

There is a 30 day return policy.

Q1. Did I get Ripped off?

Q2. Should I keep it or send it back for a refund?.

Thanks in advance for your responces to my questions

Howdy and welcome. In my opinion, since you only want to own gold and the difference between MS69 and MS70 is trivial for this issue, you would be much better served by buying an MS69 slabbed coin for half the price. The "First Strike" designation is bogus and the US Mint released a news brief essentially stating such, so that part of the purchase is all hype and marketing. You may want to check out the prices at places such as APMEX, which right now will sell you an ungraded piece for $659 or a PCGS graded MS69 First Strike for $672. Either of those buys is much wiser, in my opinion, for someone who simply wants to buy gold.

Goldfinger, send it back without hesitation!

The proof speciment is still for sale from the US Mint for $800. The uncirculated version is a bit cheaper but I would still recommend the proof since it has a mintage limited to 300,000 and has better eye-appeal.

Go to www.usmint.gov and click on special collectables to see it.

On eBay, I've seen PCGS MS70 First Strikes go for $1200+, NGC MS70 First Strikes go for $700+ and ICG MS70s go for $30-40 over spot. Check eBay's completed auctions listing. I'd definately return it if it's not PCGS. If it is, it's a toss up since that seems to be the market price. I'd check the PCGS pop. As for the proof, it's still hard for me to think of 300,000 as a small mintage. The 2006 1oz AGE proof mintage limit of 12,000 is more inline with what I normally think of as low mintage. But then again, the 2001 ASBs have a high mintage and have been selling for a good premium over issue price for ICG MS70s.

I haven't looked at this in a few weeks but it seems that PCGS First Strike MS70s are holding their value at $1200+ and NGC First Strike MS70s have dropped from $900+ to $700+. Anyone else notice this?