• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shattered dies!

7 posts in this topic

Can someone post a picture of a coin from Shattered dies. I have the term losely used, but never really seen a coin from one. Thanks!

No pic to share but I did read this somewhere. CONECA defines the term, shattered dies, as having three or more cracks towards the center of the coin. Don't know if thats right. It seems like one giant crack would be enough.

Coin world printed a photo of an '83-P quarter with two major cuds on it a few years back. The very same day I got one in pocket change. While my example wasn't in as good of shape it was a later die state and the dies were starting to shatter. There are many fine die breaks all over it. It's hard to believe it lasted very long after striking this coin but it's possible there's one out there with even more cuds.

I can't get you a picture right now and I'm not sure this would really be considered shattered dies since the breaks are very fine.