• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This Coin Dipping Craze Has Now Reached Alarming Proportions

35 posts in this topic

By the way, the top two third-party graders will not encapsulate a dipped coin

laughy.gif

Sorry, no offense intended but that's funny.

jom

Welcome bmwrider. By the way, I think that with time you will find your statement

the top two third-party graders will not encapsulate a dipped coin
to be completely wrong. No offense intended.

Dragon - I respect your opinion, but personally I would take a blast-white type of coin anyday over most toned coins out there - especially some of the absurdly colored "Crayon" coins that bring 5-10X (or much more) then greysheet.

Also, there are plenty of coins if I look on ebay for example in older PCGS and NGC holders that are blast-white, so I don't know if this is anything new.

Just my opinion. Personally, I wouldn't pay $60 (other then to resell it) for most of the MS65 Morgans that are in every color imaginable and hard to even see the details on the coin!

JJacks

I would take a blast-white type of coin anyday over most toned coins out there

There's something to be said for this. Many toned coins (I should say MOST) out there are flat out DULL. Something killed the luster along the way. Either the toning did in the first place, someone over dipped it and then it retoned or it was just made that way. Whatever it is luster is the most important factor in eye appeal. No luster, no appeal.

Now, at that point if you have good luster you have to decide if you like the color or the just white. Take your pick!

jom

There's something to be said for this. Many toned coins (I should say MOST) out there are flat out DULL. Something killed the luster along the way. Either the toning did in the first place, someone over dipped it and then it retoned or it was just made that way. Whatever it is luster is the most important factor in eye appeal. No luster, no appeal.

If a coin looses luster or has dull luster for whatever reason, the grading services will likely factor that into the grade. Therefore, a white coin may have graded differently than the exact same coin toned. So, one can argue that, in most cases (if the coin is accurately graded), the dull coin has already been penalized (through receiving a lower grade) for dull luster. The quality of a white coin compared to a toned coin can thus be very different, and, the two are not easily comparable in terms of eye appeal. For instance, can one compare a Bust half with original toning and MS66 surfaces that only graded MS62 because of subdued luster (I have one of those and I wouldn't trade it for anything!) to an MS62 with blazing luster and surfaces that are all scratched up? Generally, the grading system will help keep relative quality in line. If you want a 62 with great luster you must sacrifice surface quality. If you want a 62 with great surfaces, you must sacrifice luster. So, in the end, everything has a give and take nature, and eye appeal all depends on whether you like great luster or clean surfaces. Assuming a coin is accurately graded, you will get what you paid for either way. And, of course, the higher you go up the grading scale, the nicer both features become cloud9.gif.