• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scan Of An MPL Lincoln

28 posts in this topic

It's difficult for me to tell what a scan of a coin will look like. I know a scan doesn't really show much color on a coin. What's your "feel" on this one:

s2854obv.jpgs2854rev.jpg

My gut feeling is that it is lacking any pop to give it significant eye appeal. Please realize this is only based on the interpretation of the scans.

It’s really hard to tell from a scan anyway. It’s hard enough to get a feel from

a photo, but scans (my scans anyway) give a coin an “autopsy photo” look.

It probably comes from a very bright light source being right next to the coin,

of course that’s how ALL scanners work so there’s no hope of getting a

more realistic image by using another scanner. If you are handy with a camera

I’d like to see a photo. Do you have the coin?

Hays

Those "lines" we see on the coin are not die polish lines on the 1912 matte proof. True die polish lines on matte proof Lincoln cents are very difficult to see in any image and the quality of this scan doesn't allow them to come through.

Not a bad scan. Mine look really bad. smile.gif

On the rev. it looks like the scanner was trying to focus on the plastic. Is the coin tilted a bit in the slab?

The obv. looks more in focus. Something tells me that in hand this is a really cool looking coin.

TomB, I was referring to the die polish lines as stated by Leonard Albrecht in the article, "Matte Proof Lincoln Cents 1909-1917", as published in The Numismatist, October 1983, page 2056. I cited the EDS markings. Mike

Howdy drwstr123, I realized the likely source of what you were writing about, I just didn't know if you were trying to correlate the woodgrain toning to the die polish written about in the diagnostics article. I also own a wonderful 1912 matte proof Lincoln and the only way to see the die polish is to view it closely. In this instance, the scan is inadequate.

Do you collect matte proof Lincolns? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif If so, there are a few of us here who love them when they have positive eye appeal. thumbsup2.gifsmile.gif

Hi Tom, I do happen to own a 1912 Matte, and, yes, the interpretation of polish takes getting used to. I completed the circulation set and now work on a registry set across the street, My intention is to include the matte set as the Gods smile. They are a sight to behold. Mike

Since it is obviously in plastic it is difficult to tell anything for sure. Any lines could be on the plastic. I don't even know what MPL means. Always wonder why every profession, hobby, restaurant, etc. always has to have the secret abbreviations. Been collecting for well over 50 years and just can't get used to strange terms.

Back to the coin. Is the reverse acturally rotated or is that the way you scanned it? Obverse does appear to be better than the reverse but could be from the scan.

The term MPL as used in this thread is meant to mean Matte Proof Lincoln. I do not believe it is a universally accepted abreviation, but it is used commonly on the boards.

Hi Mike, if you happen to own a 1909-VDB MPL and have an image of it would you please share it with us? That is one coin that there are too few of around.

Hi Tom, I do happen to own a 1912 Matte, and, yes, the interpretation of polish takes getting used to. I completed the circulation set and now work on a registry set across the street, My intention is to include the matte set as the Gods smile. They are a sight to behold. Mike

Great.....Just what we need. Another MPL collector. SHEESH!!!

wink.gif

BTW---Got any pics of your 1912 or others?

These are the sellers scans. When I have the coin in hand I'll answer everyones questions. The coin is in a PCGS PR65 BN holder though. wink.gif

leeg, can you provide a link to the autcion?

This one wasn't in an auction. Found it on the B/S/T "Across The Street".

I like the coin. It's not a monster, but still a nice example in my opinion. The first pic is of the coin on a a previous Dealers Website, the last two are mine using two 13W OTT-LITE's.

50251509o.jpg

50251509r.jpg

1912MPLobv7A1.jpg

1912MPLrev7A1.jpg